Recent Posts

drmroth
on 3/6/14 8:28 am
Topic: Please Help

Hi All!

It's so exciting to read about the progress you've all made . Congratulations.

I have a problem and can use your help. I was referred to Dr. Blackstone in Scottsdale. I went through all the tests, pre-op appointments and was scheduled for surgery but then when I finally got the chance to meet with Dr. Blackstone (I tried to meet with her on many occasions because I'm on steroids for health issues and I wasn't sure if I would be a candidate) she said that she wouldn't feel comfortable doing my surgery. Now I'm left having to try and find someone else that will agree to work with me and I have no idea where to begin. All my doctors recommended Dr. Blackstone, people I've spoken with referred Dr. Blackstone. I heard she was the best and of course I wanted the best.

So now I need to find another "best". Please help me by responding with your experiences with different doctors - pros and cons. I live in N. Scottsdale but I can travel so it doesn't matter if the surgery is here or another state. I just want someone with a good medical background and years of experience with laproscopic RNY.

As a side note: has anyone that is on steroids for adrenal insufficiency had success with RNY? 

I would welcome and thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

tochatty
on 3/4/14 9:33 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Topic: Revision ?

I have been looking into revision surgery for several years now, have met with various surgeons to learn about their technique, risks and etc.  I think I am ready to finally really consider it, I am not getting any younger and I'm not far from my original weight before surgery. 

I know there is a revision forum but I just really wanted to post this here since I would need to have support and hope to find others here in Arizona who may have also had revision.  I went to see a surgeon today, whom I have known for many years, he would do a revision of the original RNY it sounds like but to know forsure, he is having me to a endo and upper GI soon.  Based on some tests I had done 6 years ago, I do have a rupture in my staple line which warrants having revision.  Because I have looked into revision for many years I know its common that revision patients do not lose as much as the initial surgery or as fast.  I would like to just lose weight so my joints don't hurt, so I can exercise, etc. 

I hope to visit this sight more often as I continue to investigate the possibility of having revision.  Hope everyone is well.

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 2/18/14 2:37 am
DS on 09/27/23
Topic: Announcing: ObesityHelp Conference 2014

You've contacted us since the 2013 Conference so here is the 4-1-1:  We are excited to announce the details for the ObesityHelp Conference 2014. 

The conference for this year will be held in Los Angeles, California on August 15-16, 2014.

To sign up for the latest updates and other details, check our OH Blog.

Please join us for the fun, education, information and vendor samples.

Kim Gyurina, Event Manager

Bella0821
on 1/31/14 8:02 am
Topic: DR Fang anyone????

Does anyone have Dr. Fang? If yes what for? thanks

Time2StartLiving1107
on 1/26/14 1:13 pm - Avondale, AZ
Topic: UHC Employee looking for help

Hi,

I have worked for UHC for over 5 years now and am trying to find out more about appealing the WLS. In my plan it is not covered. They said I could appeal it. My doctor wrote a letter of appeal last week and I'm praying to get some good news. Has anyone here every appealed the WLS and actually gotten it covered? If so please tell me about it.

Member Services
on 1/13/14 12:51 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Remembering OH in 1998 and Now

We encourage you to join us as we celebrate ObesityHelp in 1998 and now.  Many members will remember the screens shown in this video and will enjoy the walk down memory lane.  If you're new, you'll like the strides and successes we've had during our 16 years with our members. 

Please like and share on the video from our OH Facebook page. 

We proudly present "Making the Journey Together for 16 Years" . . . . . . . .

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/13 3:52 am
Topic: RE: can anyone recomend good surgeon in phx area?
On July 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM Pacific Time, bellacherie wrote:

does that dr a revision from the RnY to the DS

No.  There are no surgeons in AZ that are safe to do RNY to DS.  You would have to travel for that and I include Blackstone.  Blackstone isn't even a vetted DS surgeon let alone RNY to DS.  That is a procedure only about 6-7 surgeons throughout the COUNTRY can do.

Personally, I wouldn't go to Blackstone for a hang nail let alone something serious such as surgery.  I took care of too many of her mistakes when I lived in AZ.  She had a habit of bypassing too much intestine and when the patient became ill and malnourished she blamed them and fired them as a patient.  It was just her way of pawning them off on some other doctor.

No, there are no DS surgeons in AZ and surely no RNY to DS surgeons.  The closest are California for ins pay and MX for self pay.

stephanie R.
on 10/28/13 3:43 am - phoenix, AZ
DS on 01/24/12
bellacherie
on 10/26/13 1:51 pm - Alanson, MI
Topic: RE: Planning to relocate in May 2014

can i e-mail you as well too, i just relocated here from MI, and im hoping to have a DS soon with your doctor, im meeting him at the end of the month,   but my BMI is 40 and im a revision from an RnY ...... any tis on your doctor will really help actually ... thanks

RnY 09/09/11
waiting for approval of DS
HW - 242     LW-137    CW - 195    
ginau
on 10/6/13 1:46 pm - mesa, AZ
Topic: BACK FROM THE CONVENTION ~~

Home from the annual convention .. Some really good stuff there. Soo  Glad I went. So overwhelmed with the  vendors and speakers. and the information exchanged.

Special Thanks  to Dr Sharma  for tackling weight regain.  I have the book and getting ready  to start the work.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active