Support Local Business

Michele M.
on 3/28/06 8:08 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Hiyas! I am happy to report that Hi-Health, located all over the valley, has restocked thier AchievOne supply! They also carry Power Crunch Bars, and Extreme Smoothie (ready to drink) protein shakes. If you are like me, and on a small budget, don't like the outrageous shipping fees some of these online places are charging, please check out your local stores. As an example, one online place charges $24.50 for a 12 pack of AchievOne, and the shipping/handling charge comes to $13.61, so thats a total of $38.11 a 12 pack! Or 3.17 a bottle, compared to $1.99/bottle at the Hi Health store. I'm putting together a list of all the products I would like to see at the Hi Health near us, (the manager there is very interested in new business!) and hope they start carrying them soon. I suggest you do the same. The list I am putting together includes Name of Product, Flavors, and Manufacturer name, as well as links to the Manufacturers website, if I can find it. Michele
Ginger
on 3/28/06 9:15 pm - Chandler, AZ
Michele, I hear about sooo many different kinds of protein supplements here on the OH boards. It's enough to boggle the mind. My question was about the AchievOne. Are those the syrupy vial like medicine....3 sips and it's over??? I like the idea of staying local too. I ordered some unflavored Unjury and it still kinda "burns" the roof of my mouth. I gotta find something (protein) that I can commit to. I just can't get all the protein I need in a day. I can see that many wls posties are very loyal to the shake that does the trick for them...still searching. HugsGinger
Michele M.
on 3/28/06 9:24 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Hello Ginger =) AchievOne drinks are coffee flavored bottled drinks kind of like Starbucks. They come in Vanilla Nut, Mocha Java, Capucinno, and Hazelnut, 120 Calories, and 20g of Protein. They are a tad pricey though, so definitely try just one before buying a bunch. My favorite is Vanilla Nut, then Capucino, then Mocha Java. I HATE anything Hazelnut, so I haven't tried that one, although lots of people say its great. Extreme Smoothies, are also ready to drink, in a can. They are 170 calories, and 35g of protein. I like the Chocolate Dream. My advice on both of these is that you drink them very cold, shake them very well first, and keep shaking them. The texture of Extreme Smoothie is a little odd at first, but I don't mind it at all. I use these mainly at work, because I'm way too lazy to drag all the stuff to work that I would need to make my own. At home I use Anywhey Virtually Tasteless Protein Powder, and make my own flavors. Usually coffee & cocoa. I also mix it into sugarfree pudding. Michele
Ginger
on 3/28/06 9:51 pm - Chandler, AZ
Thanks Michele! Where do you buy your "Anywhey Virtually Tasteless Protein Powder"? I still have some Unjury left..but not much. It's weird cause my family members who DID NOT have the surgery...get into my protein powder, they have no problems with the taste/after-taste etc. After I find a protein I like, I'm gonna have to get out the magic marker and write "mom" all over it...heck, they get the food that I can't have..fair is fair right? HugsGinger
Michele M.
on 3/28/06 11:29 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
That I still buy online until I can convince local stores to carry it. I use Allstarhealth.com. They have a flat $4.95 shipping fee, no matter how much or how little you order. Michele
JRinAZ
on 3/29/06 1:02 am - Layton, UT
Ginger and all, You can buy Any Whey at Nutrition Warehouse....I "personally" would steer clear of: protein drinks that have caffeine (caffeine sucks our liquid, increases carb cravings, increases heart palpitation possibilites, causes restlessness/sleep issues, is addictive, etc.) any proteins that are over 130 calories per serving.....NEVER drink your calories..they are immediately absorbed! Good ratio: 120 calories per 23 grams of protein BAD: Milk as a protein...it has SUGAR BEST: Whey proteins....they are a "complete" protein o.k.: Soy proteins...only go this direction if you cannot tolerate the whey....they are not a complete protein. Wondering about proteins? a great place to study up on protein drinks and to order samples is: www.vitalady.com The owner of the site is a healthy (at goal) post-op of over 5 years out....she has valuable info and is happy to answer vitamin questions ,etc. Joyce
Michele M.
on 3/29/06 4:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
I choose to drink caffeine, it's my decision. It doesn't affect me in the ways you suggest it might. But that is everyones personal choice. Same goes for the protein I choose to use, and where I buy it. Thanks, Michele
Arizona_Sun
on 3/28/06 11:17 pm - Gilbert, AZ
What kind of protein is in the AchievOne? Sandy
Michele M.
on 3/28/06 11:28 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
http://www.achievone.com/ is the website - has all the nutritional information.
JRinAZ
on 3/29/06 12:54 am - Layton, UT
Hey Ginger, Give me a call and come over for some samples. I can give you a little taste testing party in my kitchen! ....I have been buying from Nutrition Warehouse on Alma School and Warner for 3 years. The owner gives all WLS folks a discount and does much of our business for us. He knows what the favorites are and can recommend samples and products to folks as they come in. He keeps in touch with me when he gets new products to check to see if the calorie/carb/protein ratio is in the right zone before he recommends. Currently though, a gal from our Chandler group has received distributorship status with Synthrax and is able to order all the Matrix and Nectar products (my very favorites) at her cost.....a savings of over $10 a tub in some cases. Once you find a protein that is yummy, then it becomes very very easy to get your protein grams up each day. I get over 100 grams consistently every day and know that it is being absorbed...rather than wondering if the tuna fish is malabsorbed? ready for a kitchen party.... Joyce
Most Active