WLS Seminars...?

RoosMom
on 3/21/06 2:23 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
I am still in the 'waiting for approval' stage but would really like to attend a seminar that tells all about the surgery, etc. Does anyone know of one being held in the Phoenix area or is there a place I can check? My PCP is referring me to Dr. Juarez but I haven't seen him yet - pending insurance approval. I've researched the surgery, talked to many who have had it, am involved in a WLS group and done all of the nutritionist, psychological etc stuff already but never have gotten to sit in on a seminar and actually hear all about it that way. Thanks for any help offered.
Brandy H
on 3/21/06 10:42 pm - Glendale, AZ
hi ann, just to let you know, i had dr. juarez too! LOVE HIM! anyways, don't worry, before you are even able to make an apointment with dr. juarez you will be required to attend a seminar at st. lukes hospital. then once you get your seminar date you will then be able to call his office and make an appointment and they will ask you what is the date you are attending the seminar. brandy
RoosMom
on 3/22/06 1:26 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Great! Thanks Brandy, that eases my mind in that area. I've read many good things about Dr. Juarez so I'm looking forward to meeting him. Did you choose him or was he assigned by your pcp or insurance? My pcp told me thats who he was sending me to so I right away started checking on him. I'm so eager to get this done, it feels like I've been waiting for a long time. Well, thanks again for your help. Ann
Brandy H
on 3/22/06 3:40 am - Glendale, AZ
i was told about dr. juarez a couple of years ago (when i wasn't quite ready to go through surgery...but it was a thought) anyways, when i really started looking into it i had to go through my pcp and he asked me who i wanted to go to and i had heard of dr. juarez and of blackstone. well, blackstone didn't accept my insurance so i endedup with dr. J. i was a little nervous at first because someone who had already had surgery told me that she had met dr. juarez for a consultation and she found him to be lacking of bedside manner. and that he was nice but he was not a "warm and fuzzy" surgeon and her family was totally unsupportive of her having surgery and she wanted someone to hold her hand through this process. well, when i found out that i could only have dr. juarez (or his office) to have surgery i thought about it and then when i went to the seminar he spoke and i found him to not be at all what i had him described to me as. he has a bit of a dry sense of humor...and i do too! and i laughed at some of the things that he was saying when no one else did. anyways, when i met him he was super cool and answered all of my questions and i liked him a lot. i didn't feel rushed. i didnt' feel like he wasn't " warm or fuzzy or whatever" and i thought some more about it and i told my husband that forget "warm and fuzzy" and wanting someone to hold my hand....that is what i have family and friends for. i wanted a surgeon who KNEW HIS STUFF! and that is exactly what i got. sorry this is so long. you will be in very capable hands. hope this helps. brandy
JRinAZ
on 3/21/06 11:26 pm - Layton, UT
Ann, How come you didn't attend the St Luke's Bridges seminar with Dr. Juarez? He usualliy covers details. If you missed it, then just call Kelly (602) 251-8828 and ask her when the next one is. Dr. Terry Simpson has free seminars as well. You can get the schedule and the contact info off of his website: www.drsimpson.com Dr. Blackstone also gives free seminars. Just call and tell them you are investigating the surgery. I doubt they'd want to hear that you are already in someone's system for approval. But, let me just say that bias comes from whatever direction to head so sometimes your own research can give the best information. Have any specific questions? Shoot! I can send you in the direction of bunches of links. Kudos to you for doing research! Just keep doing more and more research and you'll be a successful post-op at your goal weight before you know it!!! .... Hugggz, Joyce
RoosMom
on 3/22/06 1:26 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Thank you for your responses. I would have loved to attend the seminar had I known about it. I haven't been told anything about WLS really at all except for what I've found on my own through research and asking people. My doctors haven't offered any info whatsoever except that it's an option and that I am definately a good candidate from all of my health issues according to them. I'll definately call and see when the next one is and go from there. Thank you again for your help! I am sooo glad to have found this site, you all seem so friendly and helpful. It's good to know there are people out there that can relate and I can talk to. Hugz back atcha Ann
phranny19
on 3/22/06 6:11 am - phoenix, AZ
RNY on 06/26/06 with
There is a seminar thursday evening @ Phx Baptist that i will be attending. I think it starts @ 6 and ends at 7. Here's a http://www.revealweightloss.com/calendar/
Arizona_Sun
on 3/22/06 6:50 am - Gilbert, AZ
How long has Dr. Arnold been doing gastric bypass? His name is not familiar to me. Sandy
phranny19
on 3/23/06 3:03 am - phoenix, AZ
RNY on 06/26/06 with
You know i'm not sure. I'm more familar with Blackstone since that's who my mom had her surgery with. He doesnt have any information here. hopefully tonight i will learn a little more about him.
phranny19
on 3/23/06 1:19 pm - phoenix, AZ
RNY on 06/26/06 with
Well i just came back from my seminar with Dr. Arnold. And i was very impressed with his program. he has been a surgeon for 7 years and got his degree from USC. He has practiced the gastric bypass at the mayo clinic. (i forgot how many years, my notes arent in front of me)This is his first year in his own practice. The Reveal program is still very new and it has a small staff which can offer personalized care and attention. i made an initial appointment with him.
Most Active