Medicare and their Center of Excellence

VeeKay
on 3/20/06 8:07 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Wow, I can't believe it,,I am actually NOT going to have a problem with this. Good Sam is officially a medicare Center of Excellence. Im sure most of you have heard that medicare recipiants can ONLY have bariatric surgery at hospitals that are deemed "Center of Excellence" I was getting real worried, but I just check the medicare site and there has been quite a increase in the approved facilities. It was just plain wrong the way they implimented that, no advance warning and not "grandfathering" in already scheduled surgeries. I know a few people who had to cancel because their hospital didn't have their certification yet. I am thankful for Good Sam being certified,,,only 2 more weeks for me. Any updates on Darlene or Sondra??? anyone??? Vee
vquigley
on 3/20/06 11:18 am - Phoenix, AZ
That is great news, Vee. My insurance company is Tricare, a government insurance company so I know that Medicare regulations impact their rules as well. I was ready to set a date for surgery with Scottsdale Barix Clinics when I found out that Tricare wouldn't cover the surgery because they don't have an ER and ICU unit and, because they don't, they cannot be a center of excellence. Needless to say, trying to find a center of excellence with a Tricare provider has been a little challenging so to find out that Good Sam is one is good news. I actually have an group consult appointment with Dr. Newhoff on Thursday so we'll see how that goes. I'm crossing my fingers. Good luck on your surgery. Virginia
VeeKay
on 3/20/06 12:58 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
I didn't realize that was such a dilemma. Does Newhoff operate out of Good Sam?? If so, you could go that route. Best of luck getting that done,,, Thank you for the well wishes, I will cross my fingers that all goes well for you also Vee
Melissa P
on 3/20/06 10:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Virginia, My sister also had Tricare insurance (Air Force) and the only two doctors that she found that tricare would work with for this surgery is either Dr Zahn or Dr. Villarez. They are both out of Good Sam. Melissa
VeeKay
on 3/20/06 11:18 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
Dr Zahn has retired, and Dr Villares is my surgeon, he is excellent.
Deanne K.
on 3/25/06 10:54 am - Tucson, AZ
Scottsdale Bariatric also is a Center of Excellence. Drs. Blackstone, Kieren and Kohler are all excellent physicians. You could also check out their program. Deanne Dr. Blackstone 11/9/04 down 100
Most Active