OT:Landlord problems(long)

Randi D.
on 3/19/06 1:37 pm - Peoria, AZ
I need some advice. I have been living in my current apartment for more than 6 years. My roof has leaked off and on for the whole time I have lived in this place. I complain, the manager promises to have roofers come and fix the roof. The roofers come and say the roof is fixed. Everything seems fine for awhile and then it rains. The roof once again leaks. I go through the same procedure explaining to the landlord that the roof is still leaking. She gives me excuses that they had problems with the roofer, and she is getting another. This has been going on for 6 years. Most recently, the last rain storm once again caused the roof to leak again. This was on 3/10. I faxed the work order to the management office, and no one called me back, so I called on 3/12. I was told that the manager was in the process of calling another roofer. I waited the entire week, and heard nothing. Well, I called Saturday and spoke to the assistant manager who treated me like a two year old saying that the manager didn't work on Saturdays and that I needed to call during the week. I asked this witch why she was getting so pissy, and she denied getting pissy. I also reported that there was someone trying to get into people's apartments posing as a maintenance worker. I told her this so she could get a memo out to the other residents, but she never let me get that far. She, again, treated me like I was a two year old stating that I needed to contact the police because they had nothing to do with it. At this point I was pissed because of her apparent disdain of having to deal with a resident who had a legitimate complaint. I told that I would contacting the city of Peoria regarding the roof. She replied, "You do what you need to do." I advised her that she needed to take customer service lessons because of her bad attitude. She then hung up. I decided that it would be better to contact the head office to complain about her, but my main concern is what am I going to do about the leaky roof. I know that the stupid mean landlord will call me to threaten that she will not renew my lease which she does when I complain about her ineffectual management of the property. I know I need to move, but I am not in a financial position to do so. I am currently collecting unemployment while looking like crazy for another job. I want to hang in there for another year so I can save up for a condo. What can I do with this situation? Does anyone know? I know that if the city of Peoria determines that the fair market value of the apartment is less than what I am paying that the landlord will need to reimburse me for all the years that I have been overpaying. Is my assumption correct? Randi 360/204/160
vquigley
on 3/19/06 2:00 pm - Phoenix, AZ
You might want to check out Arizona Revised States under Section 33. The web address is below: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp In that section it defines the duties and responsibilities of landlords and tenants. It also says what your rights are as a tenant. You may want to contact the Attorney General's office or check out their website as well. Good luck! Virginia
Most Active