OK-- Pre-Op Testing BLAHHHHH

Darlene X
on 3/14/06 5:29 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ok, now onto yesterday, Ugh It was a bad day! I had the day off work for my pre-op testing. I arrived at 8.30am, and went to admissions to check in. Well the paperwork for the bariatric pre-op people weren't there, so it took about an hour to get that sorted out. There was another girl Traci next to me, having the same issues. Her surgery is with Dr Fang on the 28th. Finally that got sorted out. I was directed off to get blood work done, 3 vials... that really want too bad. Then it was off to the 2nd floor for an ultra sound, x-rays and the dreaded upper GI. I sat there about 30 minutes, and Traci caught up with me. Finally they called me back for the ultra sound, which was no big deal. Then I was put in a small changing room to put on gowns for my x-ray and upper GI. I got changed and sat in there for 45 minutes!!! thinking they had forgotten about me. Finally a girl came and said one of their x-rays was broken, so they were running on only one room and that was busy, so I may as well get dressed and do my other stuff then come back. So off I went again, this time to the 3rd floor where I had a breathing test, which almost made me faint... it wasn't easy on an empty stomach, normally the upper GI would have been completed and I would have been able to eat beforehand. Then an EKG which was fine, and then the dreaded blood gas test thing where they take blood from an artery in your wrist. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought, it was sore but I watched the whole thing. So I was done, I stood up to get my stuff and leave and a huge wave of nausea came over me, my whole body turned cold and I started sweating... I had to sit down for 10 minutes or so before I was ok to get up again. I think that's the closest Ive ever come to passing out. Ok--- last stop was back down at the 2nd floor for my upper GI, I was so worked up and scared of this one. The girl was so sweet to me, but I was almost in tears. I chocked down the crystals that produce gas, and gagged down the barium, almost puking a few times, quickly did the x-rays, and then drank more as a surgeon watched me do it. I felt so horrible and sick after; it was just a disgusting experience. I was there about 5 hours in total. Last night, when EJ was asleep I burst into uncontrollable crying, I sobbed for about an hour. I don't know if I can do this. I'm so scared. 6 days to go.....
schootzie
on 3/14/06 6:00 am - Mesa, AZ
Darlene - Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, thank you for the info on east valley support groups. Hope to meet you at one of the Chandler meetings soon. It does sound like you had a very bad time... I know that being subjected to countless test can be almost dehumanizing. And even after going thru several months of testing due to my cancer, the cancer didn't scare me half as bad as having this surgery done. I don't know if you feel like me, I know that I really need to have this done, but at the same time the fear of the unknown is so overwhelming. 6 days to go, Wow, you are in my prayers. Hopefully they will go by real quick. I will check in daily, if you need to vent. Take Care! Liza
Darlene X
on 3/15/06 3:58 am - Maricopa, AZ
Thanks so much Liza!!! You should deffinately come to the support group--- I love it! Ive only ben twice but it feels like home, and everyone is so wonderful! Darlene
Most Active