New here and finally on my way towards WLS

Judy F.
on 3/11/06 3:22 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
I found this forum through Google and I am really excited there is a place to come to for help and support. My name is Judy and I live in Sierra Vista, AZ. My journey towards weight loss surgery has been slow. My insurance wouldn't cover it, no matter what. Last October, my husband came into some money, enough for us to be able to pay cash for the surgery. YIPPEEE!!! After doing much research, I decided on the Scottsdale Bariatric Clinic since everything I've read seems to indicate that they are among the best in the state. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with them? Because I have an incorrect diagnosis of being bipolar on my medical record (long story), I was told in October when I went to my initial consultation, I would have to go through 6 months of counseling to make sure I would be compliant with everything I need to do both before and after the surgery. I really resented the delay, but it has worked out really well. The counselor I have been seeing has helped me realize a lot of things about myself and related to the whole weight issue. It's been an amazing journey. My counseling won't officially be over until the middle of April, but I was told to get a letter from my counselor stating that I have been compliant with SBC's instructions (which I have been) and I am now scheduled for March 29th to meet with their dr and dietician. The best news is that I will be able to schedule my surgery on that day!!!!!! I expect that the surgery will be scheduled sometime in June. At this point, I am so excited. It's like I am finally seeing an end and a new beginning. In a few more months, I will have a whole new life in front of me! The surgery will be done laproscopically (sp?). Has anyone had it done this way? What kind of recovery period should I expect? On average, how fast will I start losing weight? I need to lose between 150 and 160 lbs. Thanks!
Sandy in Tucson
on 3/11/06 4:19 pm - Tucson, AZ
Obesity help is having a conference in Tucson on april the 8th at U of A hospital. It would be very good for you to attend to learn all you can about the surgery...etc. I am sure the support group in Sierra Vista is coming to the event. The event instructions is on the banner at the top on the main room for obesity help. Sandy in tucson
Judy F.
on 3/12/06 2:19 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
Actually, I am looking into attending that with my husband. I just need to work out a few details. I went to the seminar the bariatric center had back in October and that answered a lot of my questions. Now that I am finally on my way, a support group would be great. Do you know anything about the Sierra Vista group and where and when they meet?
K B (Tucson)
on 3/12/06 3:14 am - Tucson, AZ
Go on www.vitalady.com.She has a list of wls support groups and the Sierra Vista group info is posted there.
K B (Tucson)
on 3/12/06 1:40 am - Tucson, AZ
What wls are you wanting? There are several different kinds.
Judy F.
on 3/12/06 2:16 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
I will be having the RnY.
lemarie22
on 3/12/06 1:23 pm - Glendale, AZ
Judy, I had my surgery with Dr. Blackstone two years ago and couldn't be happier. I'll be having reconstructive surgery in three weeks and can't wait to get on with the next phase. This has been the best thing I've ever done for myself and life is a terrific journey these days. Best of luck to you and keep coming to this site for support. Oh, one more thing.... Once you get a surgery date, find the board on this site for people with the same surgery month. It has been invaluable to go through this with people who are experiencing the same thing I am at the same time. Connie
Most Active