Time Line Questions

Tiffany McGee
on 3/7/06 3:18 am - Glendale, AZ
As you all know, I haven't even been approved for my surgery as of yet. Im still doing the pre-approval testing. So here goes the question. On March 22nd I have my One-On-One consult with Dr. Newhoff. And that will be the last thing I must accomplish (per the BCBS of NC requirements) before his office can submit to the insurance agency. So how long does it take the insurance person to submit to the insurance? How long does it take for the insurance to respond? I asked the office staff and they told me that it depends on the insurance and which staff member is submitting. from 2 days to 2 weeks on both sides. Which means (worst case scenerio)that I won't know if I"m approved until the middle/end of April. Which means I can't get a date until May. So I wondering how it went for others? Especially BCBS insured people. Thanks for the info in advance I truly apprciate it. Take Care Tiff
Darlene X
on 3/7/06 5:02 am - Maricopa, AZ
Here is my time line.... Jan 12th-- Attended the seminar Jan 16th-- One on one, initial consult w/ Dr Fang ** Late Jan early Feb was spent doing Cardiac clearance & Psych Wednesday Feb 8th-- The insurance girl called to say she was aubmitting my stuff to United healthcare, as she recvd my cardiac clearance. Honestly Im assuming she probably didn't submit to my insurance company until Thur or Friday (9th-10th) Friday Feb 17th-- About a week later, I called UHC and found out I was approved. Monday Feb 20th-- Insurance girl said she was sending to the scheduling girl. Tuesday Feb 28th-- After lots of calling I finally got a date scheduled. March 13th-- Pre-op testing March 14th-- My pre-op class. March 20th!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SURGERYYYYYYY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH It totally depends on your insurance company though-- UHC is always quick, or so Ive seen. I think most probably take an average of 2 weeks or so.
JRinAZ
on 3/7/06 6:18 am - Layton, UT
Tiff, When I was working at Dr. Simpson's Bariatric Coordinator, I would submit the very same day that the patient turned in all insurance requirements. We used a 3rd party which would go through the requirements in detail before submitting to the insurance. This would insure that the patient would not be denied and thus ruin their 1 or 2 chances of challenging the insurance. The insurance has by law 30 days; I believe? (forgot!) and rarely took more than 3 days to let us know by phone or fax. I would call the patient immediately and let them know one way or the other. I always told the patient to expect about 2 weeks for the process. Sometimes it was as short as 3 to 4 days but it usually was about 2 weeks...... Just hang on! It's going to happen for you sweetie pie!.....I'm crossing fingers, toes and other body parts that really should be seeing a Plastic Surgeon soon! LOL! Hugggz, Joyce
Melissa P
on 3/7/06 10:52 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Tiff, I have been working on this process since July of last year. I had to do a three month diet ,on top of all the usual requirements. To get the pulmonary clearance appointment took almost as long as the three month diet program. I am finally approved and now am waiting for Scottsdale Bariatric to call me with a surgery date. I was impatient and called them yesterday and they said that it usually takes a week to seven days to schedule the appointment depending on how many approvals are in front of mine. I am so impatient and I have been waiting a long time. It will come for both of us. I guess we just have to be patient. It is just really hard. Melissa
Most Active