Toyota Prius???

mombear
on 3/7/06 2:51 am - Green Valley(5/24/05 Lap RnY), AZ
The Old Bear and I are getting ready to buy a new car - well, newer car. I drive a Dodge Intrepid now - and I drive a LOT - I've put 135,000 miles on my car since I bought it in 2001. My commute is 35 miles each way, but I almost never have to deal with anything other than rain - I live down here in the desert of Southern Arizona. We have a Chrysler Town & Country for long trips, hauling musical gear, etc., so we don't need a "big" car, although I love my Intrepid. I get 28 mpg with the Intrepid, which is pretty darn good given the size of the car. Because I drive so much I need to be shopping very carefully. I'm looking at a Toyota Prius - the hybrid - because of the amazing gas mileage. I see that the interior is pretty roomy. But at this stage have not gone beyond looking at them in the parking lot. Anyway, I wondered if any of you has a Prius, or any knowledge of that kind of car. Any advice you might have would be welcomed. Thanks - Mom Bear
Darlene X
on 3/7/06 3:51 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ive heard a lot of bad stuff about the Prius lately--- hasn't it been in the news? It's not all it's cracked up to be with mileage... what they "say" it gets, isnt exactly what your going to get. Ive heard it really gets similar mileage to a lot of good less expensive cars. My husbands old Honda Prelude gets better gas mileage... What you pay in extra $$$$ to buy it, you could get a nice cheaper (Non-hybrid) car and end up spending the same in the long run... I just havent heard anything good about it...
K B (Tucson)
on 3/7/06 4:27 am - Tucson, AZ
I suggest you get the new Consumer Reports car book or magazine as they review all car models annually and tract their reliability for tha last several years. This should give you lots of good info about the car.
Stephanie J.
on 3/12/06 12:00 pm - Tucson, AZ
You should definitely check the Consumer Reports car edition. They have an article on hybrids in this edition. I'm thinking about buying the new replacement for the Toyota Echo. It's called the Yaris and will get up to 40 mph on the road without having to deal with the hit or miss hybrid technology. - Stephanie J
Most Active