Surgery type dissing....

JRinAZ
on 3/1/06 3:10 pm - Layton, UT
Hey guys, I just wanted to respond to a couple of posts regarding the lap-band surgery and the fact that it can be successful. ..... Just want everyone to know that I totally agree! It certainly CAN be effective for each and everyone who has it regardless of their starting BMI.... I was however posting my opinion based on statistics......If you read all the info links regarding the surgery types with the pros and cons and research the stats of long term post-ops; you will find that certain types of surgeries have a bigger weight loss percentage than other types. I do know, from having worked for several Weight Loss Surgeon's from two different practices that they will give valuable information regarding the surgery that THEY perform most often personally and I have yet to meet one who will say..."don't have an Rny from me, go to Mexico and have a Lap Band". In other words....don't rely on info from just one source...gather, gather, gather some more! My goal as a post-op; has been to help people make informed decisions and to become advocates for their own heatlh and bodies. That being said..."IF" I would have known what I know now as a pre-op making the decision; I would not have had the same type of surgery. (I had an open Rny with Dr. Zahn). and so....I just hope I can help someone sometime make a better choice than I did!!!! But...everyone is unique and one size or one surgery does not fit all. Not all of us can handle the malabsorption challenges of the DS or the dumping challenges and supplement needs of the Rny.......and so......finding the right match is unique to YOU! Please do not take anything personal. I am not dissing the Lap Band surgery or any type of surgery. Tackling weight loss in any fashion is a big step towards better health!!!!! I would gladly give links for more info to anyone who may want it.....but do not want to turn this "support forum" into a "my surgeon is better than yours" or "my program is the best in Arizona" or "my surgery type is the best one"!!!! I have rarely met anyone who doesn't think their surgeon and their surgeon's program is a gift from Heaven!!!! Happy Losing to alll! Joyce
jenniebr
on 3/9/06 10:45 am - queen creek, AZ
I totally agree with you. I chose the band for most of the reasons you stated above about the challenges of the RNY. I went to have a second opinion with another doctor and he told me I would have better sucsess with the RNY. He told me of studies that compared RNY /Lapband. RNY patients lost more weight in a shorter time. He did admit that over a longer period of time the actual loss was almost the same. I knew I didnt get this way overnight and I like sweets. just kidding! Either way I knew I would have to modify my way of life! Of all the people I actually know, including family members, that have had WLS none had done the band. I hear that it is hard for some bandsters to attend support meetings because the RNY patients have lost far more weight and the hardships they face are very different so they feel out place. I have yet to attend one. Too far to drive me! Well I guess we need to go back to that old saying "worry about you and not others". I for one am proud of anyone that can go thru the process and hold that head up high. It is work no matter what method you use. If this were easy everybody would do it and only people who "wanted" to be overweight would be!! Obesity is a disease. NOT A CHOICE! I have had better than average results and a few people have actually accused me of having RNY. (I am down 59 lbs in less than 3 months.) Like I would I lie. LOL. Any WLS decision is a hard one. I am very honest about the fact that had WLS and tell anyone who will listen. A few people have had surgery or will be after hearing about mine. I work hard everyday. I struggle to make the right choice everyday. We can all be a helping hand to those in need. We should never push our preferences on others. We must allow every one to choose what is best. By offering our struggles and accomplishments we allow others to see what MAY lie ahead for them. In no way would I suggest my method was better. I don't feel it is. They all are for the purpose of helping one to loose weight and be healthier. Good luck to all. Pray hard and do your research! above all have no regrets no matter what! Life is far to short to dwell on the "what if" Jen 224/165/140
JRinAZ
on 3/9/06 11:39 am - Layton, UT
Wow Jen! THat's a great loss! Congratulations! .....You have done very well and are obviously committed to being a compliant patient! .. Hopefully we can hang together on this site for health purposes, with different opinions. ....I actually have regrets that I choose to learn from rather than forget and have made it a mission to try and help others make educated choices; I think experiences are wasted if we don't. I have signed up many many lap band patients for surgery ......but, like you, they made an educated choice. Not all people know what they are getting into completely though, so "my opinion" is that those of us who have "been there and done that" can "pay it forward" with our information, stats, and experiences. Your success will surely help others follow in your footsteps........I am unable to undo my surgery as you could if you chose to......IF I could, I personally would go for a more aggressive surgery than either the Rny or Lap Band. .....And...you are right, the Rny and the Lap Band can end up at about the same weight loss at about 3 years post-op IF the Lap Bander is diligent in getting their fills and following their post-op nutritional plan. ....Stats are listed on the AZlapband.com website, drsimpson.net site, as well as the Dr. Zahn link off of obesityhelp.com. Joyce
Most Active