Hello Arizona Board - I'm New.

Lex_Luther
on 2/23/06 1:17 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi everyone! I have been overweight most of my adult life, but it has gone up and now my BMI is 52, my doctor said I'm borderline diabetic and I have a host of problems associated with being this big. So I am seriously considering WLS. But, naturally I am fearful. I wanted to post here, because most of you are in Arizona and have struggled with many of the same issues. Do I get the surgery? If so, which doctor? Can I handle life after the surgery? I am afraid to get it done and afraid not to. My primary physician sent me to a non-surgical bariatric doctor. The bariatric doctor said that he could help me loose weight with counseling, nutritionists, etc... But with my history and where I am at currently, he recommended I see a surgeon. Yesterday, I went to my physician and he was cautious about approving the surgery. He wanted to talk to the bariatric doctor and to an endocrinologist before signing off on anything. He said that he would get back with me by the end of the week. My insurance covers the surgery. My wife had lap/RYN over a year ago and is doing great - but I've gotten bigger. She went to Dr. Blackstone and it went so well. I live in Chandler and was looking into the Wish Center at Tempe St. Lukes, because it was closer. Like I said, I'm afraid to get the surgery and afraid not to. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul
tamikosue
on 2/23/06 1:28 am - Lakeside, AZ
Dear Paul, I recommend the surgery. I have been overweight all of my life. As I got older I just struggled and struggled with it. I almost had to quit teaching because of my weight. I had my surgery 12/27/05. I am only 2 months out, but I feel fantastic. I am so happy to have my life back. Food no longer controls me, I control what I eat. I had my surgery done at Banner Good Sam, they seem to have an intensive follow up program. They also do extensive tests before the surgery. Go For It!!! Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Lex_Luther
on 2/23/06 2:55 am - Chandler, AZ
Thanks for responding Tiffany. It's good to hear that two months and you don't regret it. How encouraging! I tend to focus on the "what if's..." Is that the Desert Sam at Alma School/Southern? Is that with Dr. Zahn (sp?)? Thanks again, Paul
Sandy in Tucson
on 2/23/06 3:54 am - Tucson, AZ
Paul obesityhelp.com is having a convention in Tucson April-8 at the U of A hospital...I suggest you attend...alot of questions and fears and concerns will be addressed and anwsered at the event. There is a banner for the event on the main message board for obesityhelp.com there may even be a banner on this messagebaord. I did post the link to the convention about 10 days ago on this message board...scroll back. Sandy in Tucson
mgamine
on 2/23/06 4:49 am - Mesa, AZ
Paul, I had my lap-RNY done by Dr. DeBarros at the Wish Center. He and his staff are excellent. They have a website www.wishcenter.org and do conduct online and live introductory seminars. I suggest attending the live seminar so you can ask questions directly of the surgeon. Post surgery I've found the staff to be fantastic in answering my questions, etc. Verify your insurance requirements as well--if you have to have a diet for a set amount of time, is Wish Center covered, etc. You can realistically be having surgery within 3 months of attending the information session. Be prepared for a long appointment each time. You see everyone (surgeon, nutritionist, exercise physiologist, etc.) at the same appointment. You'll also want to have your doctor conduct a full physical and order a complete blood workup. If you don't have these at the initial visit you'll be instructed to have them completed along with any other requirements by your second visit--8 weeks later. Typically 2 weeks after your 2nd visit you're in surgery. It's worth looking into..I had put off doing something like this for years. I wanted to know I had tried everything I could without this intervention/tool. After working out, dieting, etc. with minimal results I started looking into it and decided that it was something I needed to do in order be healthier and minimize my chances of developing the co-morbidities. I'll be honest...at 6 weeks post-op I was back in the hospital for dehydration and a stricture. Also found an ulcer. I also had to take prescription strength iron for the past 3 months due to a drop in my blood level (barely was let out of the hospital without a transfusion) I have to go back to have the dilitation done again. Would I do this again? Yes! I'm down 70 pounds and yesterday was my 3 month post-op mark. My blood work came back good and my energy is back. I'm so thankful for Dr. DeBarros and my having this wonderful chance to regain my health. Email me if you'd like chelle
K B (Tucson)
on 2/23/06 10:57 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi, I had lap band surgery in Mexico 11/05 and am doing great. This surgery is less invasive and still very effective. You should consider this surgery along with RNY. Seems the AZ board is mostly RNY'ers. I'd do it again in a heatbeat as I can loose weightbut have never been able to keep it off. I think this is at least part of the answer to my success in keeping weight off forever. Good luck.
JRinAZ
on 2/23/06 12:16 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Paul! Yay! Another Chandler friend! I facilitate the Chandler WLS Support group and would like to personally invite you to our meetings! We have pre-ops, post-ops in all stages and folks from every surgeon, with varying types of weight loss surgery. In fact, this coming Tuesday, Dr. Terry Simpson (somewhat well known on the O.H. website) will be our guest speaker. He only does the Lap Band surgery and I would NOT recommend that to someone with your BMI. But, he will give a lot of valuable information and speaks at O.H> Events quite often. Wish Center has a great program as does Dr. Blackstone. I went with Dr. Zahn at St Lukes (Bridges program) because of insurance but have been very happy with my choice. If I were you; I would attend several "free" Surgeon's seminars and just find the one that has the most comrehensive program (before AND after support and counseling) and then go for it. You might consider asking about a deudenal switch which works great for those who have higher BMI's. Or, just make sure your doc will do a distal rather than a proximal Rny. That will give you a better chance of losing the majority of your weight. The Chandler meetings are the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month from 6 to 7:30 at Chandler Regional Hospital on Frye and Dobson. Enter from the East main entrance near the E.R. room. Walk through the lobby and take the elevators on the right to the lower level. Turn left towards the pharmacy and then turn immediately right to conference rooms 1 and 2. Hope to see you there! Your wife and/or support person is welcome as well! Joyce
K B (Tucson)
on 2/24/06 7:54 am - Tucson, AZ
I feel I need to respond to your comment that because of a high BMI, one should not consider lap band surgery. I am in no way saying that one surgery is better than another, but, lap band wls can be very effecvtive for folks with a high bmi. So please, don't provide generalizations. The patient and his/her doc should decide what surgery is appropriate based on individual needs.
chihmom6
on 2/24/06 8:51 am - Chandler, AZ
Thank you KB. I know several people with high BMI's who have had the lap-band and have been VERY successful. I agree with your post 100% Rachael.
chihmom6
on 2/24/06 8:48 am - Chandler, AZ
Paul, It is really going to be up to you to have the surgery or not. It is a life time commitment and major lifestyle change, as your wife, I am sure can attest to. I had the lap-band 15 months ago, also with Dr. Blackstone and couldn't be happier. I was a BMI 45.5 at the time of surgery. If you can go to Scottsdale Bariatric (Dr. Blackstone), I would highly recommend it. Their program is one of the best and most comprehensive in the country. But it does require the monthly visits to the office in Scottsdale. I drive in from Queen Creek, so I understand the concern about the drive. You need to do what is best for you and your health. I know how scary the prospect of surgery can be. I was going to have it a year before I actually did and chickened out. It is scary and a major change, but, for me, it was the best decision I ever made and my health is 100% better today. Do your own research so that you can make an informed decision and do what you feel is right for you. Good Luck! Rachael.
Most Active