Questions:

Tiffany McGee
on 2/15/06 11:10 am - Glendale, AZ
I'm full of questions tonight. So, I'm sorry if I'm bugging people. 1) What type of things should I ask at my one-on-one consult? I know the generic questions, but I don't feel prepared enough with just those. 2.) What should I expect right after surgery? 3.) Before surgery, should I go through my house and toss all the "goodies" that we have (we really don't have anything but just in case). 4.) Should I shop for protein powders/shakes prior to surgery? What should I have at home the day I come home from the hospital? 5.) Where do I find an angel? I've got a few at home but they don't know what I"m going through. 6.) How do I keep myself from TOTALLY freaking out? 7.) Where is the best place to go to get a Will done up? Inexpensive is better 8.) Is Jennifer Anisten going to let me have her hair? (Just kidding) 9.) Where are the best places to shop for protein drinks, foods that I will be able to eat, etc? 10.) What signs should I be watching for when I first get home from surgery for problems? I already have ALOT of gass problems and a fatty liver so I know thoughs signs (but sometimes they get confused with other things). 11.) How do you know the difference of head hunger from real hunger? 12.) How do I NOT vomit? I know that nobody want to toss their cookies, but I have a REAL adversion to throwing up. I can't even handle it when my munchkin tosses his cookies. I literally will throw up if someone throws up in front of me. Let me tell you, flu season at my house IS NOT fun! I told you I'm full of questions - O.k .the reasons for all the questions All of the sudden today I totally feel ill prepared. Like I haven't done ALL my research. Even though I've done ALOT of research. I just feel like I don't know what to do. (Forgive for this) Like I'm having a major blonde moment. This is an all of the sudden onset of panic. I do this when I'm nervous about something. I rake my brain with billions of questions. Again I'm so sorry for being a pest. I just have a huge amount of questions on my mind....
K B (Tucson)
on 2/15/06 12:10 pm - Tucson, AZ
What kind of surgery are you contemplating? The answeres to these questions depend on the surgery type.
Veronica
on 2/15/06 2:16 pm
Hey Tiff, I too had alot of the same questions you have, except I was too shy to speak up and ask them on the messageboard. Plus, I was afraid of forgetting some of the answers, and I wanted something that I could keep referring back to and read over and over again (if I needed to remind myself). So I went to Borders Bookstore and did a search on their computer library for "gastric bypass". The very first listing that came up was "WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY FOR DUMMIES". I think it is an EXCELLENT reference book. It has answers for all your questions, except 2. The Jennifer Aniston question and the living will question. It is very simple to read and refer to. As for the answer to your Living Will question, the AZ Attorney General website has the forms you can download and print from home FREE. All you have to do is fill them out and have them notorized or signed by a witness who is NOT included in the Will. Here is the exact link to the forms your looking for: http://www.azag.gov/seniors/life_care/LifeCarePlanning.html I hope this helps. Veronica Surgery Date 3/16/06
Darlene X
on 2/15/06 8:33 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I'll see if I can answer some... 1) Don't think I can answer this one. I asked one question at my initial consult, because after researching for 10 months or so, and attending my surgeons seminar... I didn't have any Q's. Only thing I asked about was birth control. 2.) I havent had surgery yet, so this worries me too. Hubby was in a lot of pain, but after 4 hours or so felt great! Most Ive talked to say it's sore like youve done 1000 sit ups, but it's not as bad as we probably build it up to be in our heads beforehand LOL 3.) Im getting rid of the goodies... Im cleaning out all the food in my pantry BUT we will have only 2 people in the house, both of whom will have had WLS--- clearing out the goodies isnt always that easy w/ husbands and kids-- have you talked to your husband about how he feels? 4.) Shop for the bare minimum in protein, because you'll end up wasting a heck of a lot of money. Tastes change, so you may like it before surgery, hate it after. I would probably look around after surgery testing stuff to see what you can handle. 5.) You find angels here... lot's of people love to volunteer--- just ask. 6.) I dont know... trying to figure that out myself. 7.) I don't know about your surgeon, but our surgeon provided us with paperwork to do that yourself, not the most thourough, but get it motorized and I think it would be fine just in case something happens. 8.) I vcan only imagine she is superficial LOL, SO NO! 9.) I Love VitaminShoppe--- The only one I know of is in Chandler, but you can look opnline and locate somewhere close to you. It's the best, more stuff than GNC. 10.) I can't answer this one sorry. 11.) Don't know either--- measure everything 12.) I think in most cases you can't stop yourself throwing up, and from what Ive heard, its so horrible and uncomfortable that you will WANT to. My husband said it's not bad, it's not like throwing up pre-surery, its like clearing a peice of food from your throat.... but I guess we shall both see huh? I hate throwing up too.
Sandy in Tucson
on 2/16/06 12:55 am - Tucson, AZ
This alot for anyone person to answer.....I suggest going to support group meetings that are local to you. Dr. Terry Simpson has some excellant books out on WLS surgery and what to expect....they are must...I suggest you buy them. I also find alot of answers by reading the main message board for obesity help religiously. So many topics on the main message board can help you with all your concerns. I am glad your thinking ahead. So, many think this surgery is the cure all and they do not have to think or be concerned outside the box. Tucson is having the OH convention at the U of A hospital April 8...many topics will be talked about---pre-op and post op. I have already bought my ticket through my support group for $30. I can not believe this convention will be in Tucson in like 6 weeks. The convention is must for all WLS patients to attend. The combination of support groups...the convention...reading the message boards...keeps me on track. Plus, I watch my calorie in take closely and I exercise 2-3 times a week. I will never think the surgery is a cure all for my obesity. The surgery is just a tool. I am the one that makes the surgery work...by lots of hard work and determination. Sandy in Tucson 173 lbs down
JRinAZ
on 2/16/06 1:47 am - Layton, UT
1) What type of things should I ask at my one-on-one consult? I know the generic questions, but I don't feel prepared enough with just those. Prepare, prepare, prepare....the one on one should just confirm what you already know!!!! Do research with books and the main message board! 2.) What should I expect right after surgery? A little help from nurses but remember that you are not ill; you've had an elective surgery and they usually expect you to care for yourself pretty much. Just walk, drink, walk, drink....you'll be great! 3.) Before surgery, should I go through my house and toss all the "goodies" that we have (we really don't have anything but just in case). Invite your friends over and have them go through your cupboards....let them haul home. Then have healthy options stocked. 4.) Should I shop for protein powders/shakes prior to surgery? What should I have at home the day I come home from the hospital? Whatever you like prior to surgery may change for a while as taste buds are sometime changed. Have a bunch of samples from vitalady.com ready to try and then you can buy the big tubs after you find the flavors that make you happy! I recommend Nectar and Champmion Pure Whey stack as first options since they mix well with water (the best way to drink). Do NOT put your protin in the blender with ice and shoot for a smoothy. Some post-ops have the "foamies" following surgery and the shake consistency will make you barf. Stick with water and protein as a drink. 5.) Where do I find an angel? I've got a few at home but they don't know what I"m going through. WE are your angels! I'd be happy to mentor you. Find one at a support group too. 6.) How do I keep myself from TOTALLY freaking out? Prepare! Go to local support groups and get an angel there. Where are you from? If you are near Chandler then I can set you up big time! 7.) Where is the best place to go to get a Will done up? Inexpensive is better (try doing a google search. Or, just write out some nice letters outlining your funeral wishes and write a love letter to your close family members. It won't be necessary to use them but I did that and it brought me some peace. I have them tucked in my Bible now; just in case. 8.) Is Jennifer Anisten going to let me have her hair? (Just kidding) Take BIotin tablets and keep your protein drinks coming in and your hair will be better than hers! 9.) Where are the best places to shop for protein drinks, foods that I will be able to eat, etc? Phoenix area: Nutrition Warehouse (they give WLS patients discounts on everything). On line: vitalady.com And ...you can google search any product at the best price and find a variety of sites that have the product on sale. -- Sublingual B-12's and healthy food options are at Trader JOe's. Sprouts carries great vitamin choices and healthy protein options. 10.) What signs should I be watching for when I first get home from surgery for problems? I already have ALOT of gass problems and a fatty liver so I know thoughs signs (but sometimes they get confused with other things). Read a book. Ask this question at your first consult.....The only problems you should have are getting in enough calories and water. Hard to believe but it's the biggest problem with post-ops. Just keep on your doctor's eating plan diligently. 11.) How do you know the difference of head hunger from real hunger? This is a question that lingers in the minds of people at every stage.....Use a timer early on to remind you to eat. Measure your food. If you think you're hungry and the timer hasn't gone off then guess what? *winks* 12.) How do I NOT vomit? I know that nobody want to toss their cookies, but I have a REAL adversion to throwing up. I can't even handle it when my munchkin tosses his cookies. I literally will throw up if someone throws up in front of me. Let me tell you, flu season at my house IS NOT fun! Chew, chew, chew, sip sip sip....don't push the solids too early. Keep your body satiated with protein drinks so you feel healthy and strong faster. Think of your new pouch as an infant. As the baby grows, it can have a little more at a time and a little thicker consistency. Everyone's infant (pouch) matures at different rates. Yours will be unique to you. Go to support groups! Good luck! Joyce
Tiffany McGee
on 2/17/06 10:02 am - Glendale, AZ
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! All of your responses are SOOO helpful - especially Joyce. I bought the WLS for Dummies book for like $8 from Amazon. So when It gets here I'll be reading, reading, reading. Tiff
Most Active