OPEN RNY QUESTION ???

Veronica
on 2/9/06 7:48 pm
This is for patients of Dr. Newhoff or anybody who has had the OPEN RNY. How long are you normally out from work for recovery??? I was thinking maybe 4-6 weeks, but I want to try to narrow it down more. Thanks, Veronica
tres35cowgirl8
on 2/10/06 12:27 am - * _ *, AZ
I had open but not a Newhoff patient. I guess it would be up to yor Dr. I would say if you have sit down job I would guess less weeks light work maybe 1/2 days. if you have a very active job I would say more weeks off. Call the office or go to the list of Newhoff's patients and ask there. I know it help's if you know what your headed for. Hope you find out, take care Teresa
JRinAZ
on 2/10/06 1:48 am - Layton, UT
Veronica, If your surgery is smooth sailing without any complicaitons; you should be able to return to a desk job part time after 3 weeks. I teach private music lessons and was able to return back to work completely at 3 weeks. I was diligent with my walking for circulation, all my food and nutrition intake, water, rest, restrictions and iron/vitamins. I was good about using the breathing device that encourages lung expansion as well. Blood clots, infections, and lightheadedness are the big concerns post-op. Everyone is different (blood loss, iron levels, ability to heal, etc.) but most docs will not allow you to drive until your are between 3 and 5 weeks post-op from open surgery (insurance coverage issues are involved). Can you imagine having your airbed bust into your "open" surgery incicision area. OUCH! I think I healed well because I didn't push myself....and followed my docs instructions to the letter...... You should be able to call Newhoff's office and talk to his Bariatric coordinator to find out the basic details now. It's good to be able to plan your post-op care as detailed as possible. Good luck! Joyce
Darlene X
on 2/10/06 3:40 am - Maricopa, AZ
I talked to the nurses in the bariatric unit @ St Lukes about Lap vs RNY--- and they said that I may be surprised but there is very little difference when it come's to recovery. There was a girl who had open the same day as Hubby and was bouncing around feeling great, doing better than Hubby with Lap. (Assuming there are no complications) If you have an easy desk type job then 4-6 weeks is probably a little long, I'd say 2-3 weeks. Anything where your required to be more phsyical, the 4-6 weeks may be good. Good luck! Darlene
Most Active