Dr. Kieran & Dr. Blackstone

Michele M.
on 2/6/06 8:05 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
On Tuesday January 17th, my husband rushed me to the hospital in Scottsdale because of pain so intense in my upper abdomen I could barely stand up. I have NEVER felt this level of pain before, and I've had several major surgeries and traumas. After spending the day in the ER, undergoing tests, and trying to get the pain under control with morphine, and a few other drugs (they were NOT successful), and arguing with the Dr that there is no way in hell this is reflux (FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!), he FINALLY turns me over to a bariatric surgeon. This is where my luck changes for the better! He informs me that I am being transported to another hospital and into the care of Dr. Kieran. As soon as I met her I knew she was a good Dr. She told me that I was scheduled for gallbladder removal the next day, and while she was in there she would look around. I don't remember too much more about that night, except being told I was in the bariatric unit, liking Dr. Kieran, and feeling so relieved. My husband told me later that one of the nurses got approval from a Dr. to dose me up enough on painkillers to actually put me to sleep. Which is what I did. FINALLY. I woke up somewhere around midnight, and the first thing I noticed was the pain was gone. As quickly as it had started, poof, it was gone. My surgery was scheduled later in the day, and after many hours in the recovery area trying to get the nausea under control (and yelling at the interns for talking about pizza, which made me heave) I finally got back to my room. They tried to explain to me what happened during surgery, but all I wanted to do was sleep and not throw up anymore. Dr. Kieran came to see me early the next day and explained. She took out my gallbladder, and then did an endoscopy, or tried to. The camera wouldn't go past my pouch into the intestine, it kept going off into the little dead end limb of intestine left over. She said she kept trying, but the camera wanted to go there, she said it looked to be too big as well, and it may have been trapping food and causing me to be throwing up. So I finally had an answer as to why I puke so much! She removed that little limb and brought it flush with my pouch. I got to go home Thursday night, and the rest of my recovery was pretty uneventful. I was really tired, but she said that was normal, and eventually I got my energy back. My follow-up with Dr. Kieran went well. They have a very nice practice, and everyone I met there is very nice. Put simply, Dr. Kieran rocks. Her bedside manner is simply awesome, and she explained everything to me in a way that made complete sense to me. I would recommend her to anyone considering bariatric surgery. Oh! And before I forget, the bariatric unit in the Scottsdale Healthcare facility on Shea, is awesome! The nurses and patient care techs took really good care of me. They even brought my husband a reclining chair that folds out into a bed so he could stay with me. When I was allowed to go out and walk around, I took a look at the rest of the unit. All of the rooms seemed to be private (1 bed), and they use the larger bariatric beds, and have bariatric chairs, wheelchairs, blood pressure cuffs, everything thats needed for the larger patient. Michele
tres35cowgirl8
on 2/6/06 9:41 pm - * _ *, AZ
Glad to see your doing better, Being in That much pain sucks! Glad your Ok Teresa
Michele M.
on 2/7/06 9:55 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Thank you Teresa, I am indeed feeling MUCH better Michele
JRinAZ
on 2/7/06 4:30 am - Layton, UT
Wow! Glad you are o.k. and recovering! Gallbladder pain is oen of the worst I've ever experienced as well !!! ....I'm filing your experience in my post-op file so that DH will know which direction to drive if I ever have a 911 pain! It sounds like you found a wonderful doc! Joyce
Michele M.
on 2/7/06 9:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Dr. Kieran is a gem for sure. My original RNY surgeon is back in Jacksonville, FL (we moved here to AZ 6 months after my surgery). So I was feeling kind of lost out here without a bariatric doc. My grey cloud had a silver lining Michele
Kathy S.
on 2/7/06 12:54 pm - PHX, AZ
Michele, I am glad you are on the mend and found a new doctor. Scottsdale Healthcare is awesome, a friend of mine received a lot of care pre-op before a HEART_DOUBLE LUNG TRANSPLANT down in Tucson. He initially received the letters he needed from 4 doctors working in the hospital system to get on the transplant waiting list. I am CONVINCED his health stood up as well as it did pre-op because of the care Scottsdale Healthcare gave him. I delivered my daughter there and am trying to get approved for WLS with Dr Blackstone's office. Thank you for your sharing .... I feel more reassured about this practice and the care I will receive. Welcome to the Valley! Kathy
Michele M.
on 2/7/06 9:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Thank you for the welcome to AZ. After being here a year, I still don't like it, but I don't hate it as much as I did when we first arrived. I miss all the green of the east coast, and rain! How I love (and miss) the sound of rain on the roof. It's my favorite thing to fall asleep to. My husband doesn't miss his allergies to mold, pollen and assorted other east coast allergens though. Maybe if I wasn't so people-shy I would be able to make some friends here. But so far, I haven't. Guess it will take some time. I agree with you Kathy, Scottsdale Healthcare is one of the best facilities I've ever been in, as far as patient care goes. And the bariatric wing at the center is very nice too. Take care, and I hope your insurance company doesn't make you wait too long for your approval. I'm so impatient, waiting is the hardest thing for me! *hugs* Michele
Deanne K.
on 2/12/06 11:18 am - Tucson, AZ
Michele You did find the best practice in my opinion. I had Dr. Blackstone as my surgeon and when I was readmitted for a stricture 1 month after my surgery I saw Dr. Kieran and really liked her as well. They also have a new surgeon in their office Dr. Kohler and she is really nice as well. You are in great hands and I am glad that they were able to take care of you. Deanne
Most Active