Scared...Need Help!!!

dsilvers
on 1/22/06 8:20 am - Chino Valley, AZ
I had my surgery Jan 7, 2005 @ 297 #'s, it is now a year later and I have only lost 90#'s. I feel like I am not doing good!!! I feel like a failure! I drink my water every day, I take my vitamins, I drink protien shakes, I do 100 sit ups 3 times a week. I have a very stressful job so when I can I will walk at lunch when I have lunch but I have been at the same wieght for 2 months. What is going on...I just dont understand. I am going to be the only person in my family that this didnt work on? I am so frustrated. I think about my wieght 24/7. I cry about it...I just dont understand! Someone please help me!
HarleyGirl
on 1/22/06 9:35 am - Maricopa, AZ
Hi there Denise! First off congrats on the great job you have done this year 90# is a like losing 10 bags of potatoes Have you ever thought of it that way? I would say that your body is taking time to regroup. You do not mention what you eat other than water and protein drinks. or how tall you are what are your goals for weight loss compared to height? I will assume you are eating regular meals also. Just remember the basics of protein first and don't be afraid to eat, it's ok. We still have to eat to lose. I have never looked my choice as a diet, nor have I deprived myself of the joy of eating that I had before, it is how, what and why I eat that makes the difference. This surgery is our tool to help make the good choices of food enjoyable for the rest of our lives. The statement of the you being the only person in the family that this doesn't work on gives me concern. It's not a matter of the surgery working..once we've had it done there is no choice on what our pouch is going to do..it's what we do to our pouch So in short, be proud of yourself and the accomplishments that you acheive every day and you'll be fine. We all reach a stall at some time or another. Just be good to yourself and your pouch Take care, God Bless Paula Open RNY 4/1/4 330/189/-20 more
dsilvers
on 1/22/06 10:23 am - Chino Valley, AZ
My goal is to atleast get in the 100's ... 199 would be nice. But my actual goal is 150. I am 5'6.5" tall. My foods that i eat are oat meal, eggs, turkey, cheese...chili, turkey tenderlions, salads. I love tortilla chips, but just a handfull would do, some nights I eat light popcorn for a snack. I think I am doing good. I just need suggestions. Is there something I am doing wrong? I do feel like I am a failure.
Sandy in Tucson
on 1/22/06 10:48 am - Tucson, AZ
Dr. Blackstone has several support group meetings a month. Have you tried them? You may need to seek a therapist. I am not sure.....but this surgery is not a cure all. Please look for help soon. Sandy Newkirk 167 lbs down
slopez384
on 1/22/06 12:37 pm - Moreno Valley, CA
www.livingafterwls.com really good articles
lemarie22
on 1/22/06 11:27 pm - Glendale, AZ
Denise, Do you track your food faithfully? Sometimes I find that I'm eating more than I think or not getting in as much protein as I should. I don't track my food everyday, but when I feel like I'm slipping, I go back to Fitday.com to get back on track and make sure I'm really eating what I'm supposed to be eating. I've been struggling with the last 10 pounds for a while now so started keeping track and found that I wasn't getting as much protein as I thought. When I was about a year out, I stalled for a couple of months. It was really frustrating, but the weight started dropping again. You just have to keep doing what you need to and don't give up. Connie
Marilyn C.
on 1/23/06 1:52 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi Denise, Connie & I are about the same time period out. both March 2004. You have done a great job with what you have accomplished. Do Not Fret, this stall will pass. Like she said if you track your food intake for awhile you might find you are eating more than you should be. Do you measure your food intake. You should be & should always do that. Are you getting at least 64 oz. of water in a day. Are you grazing or eating 3 meals a day with an occasional snack? These are some of the things you need to look at to get back on track. I had several stall & still have about 4o lbs to lose. I have not given up & no what I need to do to get to that goal. it is all in What we are putting in our bodies & what we do along the way to get there. Hang in There, If myself or any of us can help you through this it is Connie & I. We are all dealing with some kind of issue, so Hang in There & Keep fighting. It will look better tomorrow. Take a Day at a time that is the best way to deal with this situation. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Do-over Girl
on 1/24/06 2:33 am - Tempe, AZ
Denise--I see that you live quite a ways from the metro phoenix area. Dr. Blackstone/SBC does have an "online support group". You can also email any of the staff members directly for questions and support. I personally think you should start tracking all your food intake and contact the dieticians/doctors so they can review it and make suggestions. PROTEIN, first no matter what with the daily water intake is VITAL even at this point. The surgery is just one of the many tools that help with the weight loss process as does having your head in the right place, exercise and working the program. I can understand your frustration but also realize how easy it is to not keep track of every little bite here and there which could be lots of empty calories at the end of the day. Also the staff would be able to rule out if there is a medical reason for the stalling of your weight loss. Good Luck!
VeeKay
on 1/25/06 1:19 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
I am still pre op,,,long story,,,but we have a support group here in Prescott Valley, that meets on Wednesday evenings, right off of 69, behind Prescott Valley Motorcycles (Castle Canyon area). If you want more info drop me a line and I will send you the particulars. From reading the other responses, the support group just might be able to help you. Vee
Darlene X
on 1/25/06 7:07 am - Maricopa, AZ
There is a guy at Church who had WLS w/ Dr Blackstone, he is 2 years out and went from 425 to only about 340.... and now it appears he is gaining. I know it's probably a touchy subject for him, so I havent inquired as to what went wrong, or whats happening with his weight loss. I can't help you. Just wanted to wish you luck. Maybe some of the previous advice will help you more. Personally 90lbs in a year is still great. Are you still losing most weeks? Just slowly?
Most Active