Warning: Rant - Don't buy into plastic surgery!

Stephanie J.
on 1/18/06 2:21 pm - Tucson, AZ
Since such blatant advertisements as the plastic surgery pitch below are allowed on the board, sometimes I just feel compelled to talk about the opposing side of the plastic surgery dilemma. I lost 156 pounds and now have a body that looks pretty darn good in clothes, but is very very flabby. Yet, I figured something out back when I was 290 pounds that has made me happier with my body than I have ever been in my life (even when I was a great looking sixteen year old who hated her body completely!) It's all about what's in your head, folks. Like yourself for who you are and you'll put out that vibe and be an attractive person. Loosing the weight shouldn't be about what you look like. It should be about getting healthy enough to live and be active and love life fully no matter what the remaining package looks like. My hunch is that people can have all the plastic surgery in the world and still probably won't be satisfied. It takes that internal satisfaction with ones self to feel really worthy and that doesn't cost a dime and poses no risk of infection and potential death. My value in this world comes from what I do. I want to live a long lusty life, to watch my children grow and watch them have their own children and help where I can to make the world a better place. I can't imagine taking the chance of a hospital acquired wound infection killing me because of some surgery that I chose to enhance my vanity. The whole idea is such a total non starter for me that it turns me off completely to think of having my body cut on for such superficial reasons. Granted, each to their own. I don't want to sound preachy or weird, but the body I've got is the body I love and I wouldn't trade it's newfound functionality and vivaciousness for a whole world of "pretty", especially if that sought after beauty had even the slightest chance of leading to an open casket funeral - and it definitely does. OK. Rant over. - Stephanie J
Sandy in Tucson
on 1/18/06 9:01 pm - Tucson, AZ
Good morning Stephanie................................e-mail me....we need to get together and talk....Sandy 347/340/180/150
Do-over Girl
on 1/19/06 12:37 am - Tempe, AZ
Stephanie...I agree that blatant advertising isn't what we need on the personal boards. But I also beg to differ and have my own opinion on "plastics". We all have so many reasons for losing weight and by the same token on why we may WANT or NEED plastics. I would like to think that everyone wouldn't take any form of surgery lightly but also know that sometimes "plastics" is about quality of life. In my case, after being overweight most of my life...it is more than just being flabby. I have lost 98 pounds in 5months and am still in my early/mid 40's. Granted I would like to lose at least 100 more pounds and should be reaching that goal (hopefully) within the next year or so. I feel my age is a chronological number and most days feel 35 and on really good days which I'm having more of feel like I'm 25! I also am single and in the dating world. I have a large amount of flesh that truthfully will not bounce back. I can see the need already for a complete lower body lift as the extra skin will affect my daily functions (at the risk of not being too graphic), skin rashes and back discomfort. Why not be the best that I can be? When it is time for that I will do the same amount of research, debating the pros/cons and finding the best surgeon for my needs. It will not be something I seek lightly. I also feel that I have earned the right to finally have fully the best body I can have to carry me through the rest of my life and hopefully loves, activity and experiences. For me, it is not completely a self-esteem issue as my surgeon had said, before my surgery how strong my self-esteem/confidence was/is compared to her other patients. But a issue of medical necessity as I remove the final aspects of my former life while making me both as comfortable and healthy as possible. So that said, I will get off my soap box.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/06 1:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
Jmf - I completely agree!!!! You couldnt have defended this topic any better! Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking.
Marilyn C.
on 1/21/06 6:56 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hey Stef, I agree plastics is a personal choice. I have lost 145 lbs & yes, if I could afford it I would probably do it., however my Insurance most likely wont cover & I am too broke to even consider it. So I just keep truckin on happy with what I have accomplished and do not dwell on something that isn't going to happen anyway. If you can do it & it is for you than by all means go for it, but, if you are like me (and many are) and can't even think about it do to finances than go with what you have & be happy about it. I no this is double talk, but just my take on it. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Most Active