taking medicine causing weight gain

Debbie E.
on 12/30/05 9:10 am - Surprise, AZ
I am getting so upset. I am a little over 3 months post op. I have been very sick with my asthma out of control. The Doctor has had me on prednisone for almost the whole month of December and this medicine tends to make you not only hungry but my doctor said puts on weight. I am being weined off of it but I am upset because I gained 3 pounds and I have not even eaten any junk food. Except I found I could eat those small wheatable fat free crackers. I had several in the past two days. Has anyone else been on prednisone after surgery? What have you expierenced? I also am due sometime soon so that may be the weight gain. I sure the heck hope so.
Marilyn C.
on 12/31/05 8:39 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi Debbie, The weight gain is most like TOM, I usually gain anywhere between 3 to 5 lbs during that time & sometimes even more (i am dealing with the change). I posted this list a couple of week ago regards to Meds we should & should not take. Most Doc's don't even no what will hurt us: This is very Important stuff for you to have in your files. Print it & keep somewhere you can give to your Dr.'s They need to know as well: FYI. Remember, we must be vigilent about our long-term health, not just focused on weight loss or gain. The percentage of incidences of ulcers post-WLS is extremely high, did you know that? I didn't know that - we don't want to ulcerate our little pouches so please read on: DRUGS THAT CAN DAMAGE THE POUCH: Advil Celebrex Motrin Aleve Clinorial Nalfon Amigesic Darvon compounds Naprosyn Anacin Disalcid Nayer Anaprox Dolobid Orudis Ansald Erythromycin Oruval Anthra-G Equagesic Pamprin-IB Arthropan Feldene Perdocan Ascriptin Fiorinal Ponstel Aspirin Ibuprofen Rexolate Asproject Indocin Tandearil Azolid Ketoprofen Tetracycline Bextra Lodine Tolecin Bufferin Meclomen Uracel Butazolidin Midol Vioxx Voltaren ALL NSAIDS are also included in the above list. (See below.) DRUGS THAT ARE CONSIDERED SAFE: Benadryl Glycerin Suppositories Safetussin Colace Imodium AD Sudafed Dimetapp Milk of Magnesia Triaminics (all) Dulcolax Suppositories Peri-Colace Tylenol Fleet Enema Phazyme Tylenol Cold Products Gas-X Robitussin Tylenol Extra Strength I want to help everyone understand the reason NSAIDS are dangerous for us. Contrary to popular belief, it is not just that they are "pouch burners" as the industry wants us to believe. It goes much deeper than that. According to an article published in the June 1999 New England Journal of Medicine, NSAIDS, once absorbed into the blood stream cause a chain of chemical reactions that affect the prostaglandins and this in turn reduces the production of mucus in the GI system. The mucus is what lines our GI system and protects our pouch and intestines from damage. If the mucus production is reduced, this would allow ANYTHING, including eating something with too sharp of an edge or food that are too spicy, to inadvertently begin a marginal ulcer. The best answer is to avoid NSAIDS at all cost. Taking an H2 receptor drug, such as Prilosec, Prevacid or Nexium is only a bandaid and no guarantee it will protect you. If you are desperate to try an NSAID, I would recommend Arthrotec since it has a prostaglandin compound in it that tries to prevent the chemical reaction mentioned above, but you are still at risk for marginal ulcers anytime you take an anti-inflammatory. *By Michele Van Hook-Troesch, RN Marilyn, the Bearlady
Debbie E.
on 1/1/06 7:52 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks for your response and informative information. But would taking aleve or advil once in a blue moon still hurt? Just curious. In regards to taking the steriod prednisone I know my doctor was concerned because it does cause weight gain but I had no choice since I needed it for my asthma which was horribly out of control. I am amost done the dosage but now it is causing my suger to go wacko. That is what happens though with prednisone and having diabetes. Thanks again for your info above.
Marilyn C.
on 1/1/06 1:13 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi Deb, I am sure that if you are only taking Advil or Aleive once in awhile it should be O.K. As for the other meds. Sometimes we have no choice. Hope you are feeling better and they get you asthmas under better control. Hang in there. Good luck with you weight loss, that should help your breathing as well. Marilyn, the Bearlady
cynthia E.
on 1/4/06 3:20 am - buckeye, AZ
Debbie; I hear you. I also have asthma. I now refuse to take any medication with steriods in it. That is what started my initial weight gain to begin with. I have been fortunate not to have any attacks since surgery. The season is here and without the needed moisture. We all are paying in some way or anther. Once you are done taking the medication. It will take your body sometime to get rid of it. You will start to loose weight again. Make sure to drink alot of liquids get that stuff out of your body. When you feel upto it, walking is very low impact but it will help with jump start your body. Hope this helps. cynthia 13 months post op -98lbs
Debbie E.
on 1/5/06 9:49 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks Cynthia, And you are correct. Steriods is how my weight gain really got out of control but it was a choice of being able to breath or not. My PCP has been great though. He has also been concerned about the prednisone and I took my last dose yesterday. I was able to loose 2 of the 3 pounds I gained so I am beginning to feel a bit better. I am concentrating on getting that fluid in now and hopefully it helps. Thanks for writing me.
Most Active