Drugs That can hurt our Pouch!! (long but necessary)

Marilyn C.
on 12/21/05 2:54 am - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi All, This is very Important stuff for you to have in your files. Print it & keep somewhere you can give to your Dr.'s They need to know as well: FYI. Remember, we must be vigilent about our long-term health, not just focused on weight loss or gain. The percentage of incidences of ulcers post-WLS is extremely high, did you know that? I didn't know that - we don't want to ulcerate our little pouches so please read on: DRUGS THAT CAN DAMAGE THE POUCH: Advil Celebrex Motrin Aleve Clinorial Nalfon Amigesic Darvon compounds Naprosyn Anacin Disalcid Nayer Anaprox Dolobid Orudis Ansald Erythromycin Oruval Anthra-G Equagesic Pamprin-IB Arthropan Feldene Perdocan Ascriptin Fiorinal Ponstel Aspirin Ibuprofen Rexolate Asproject Indocin Tandearil Azolid Ketoprofen Tetracycline Bextra Lodine Tolecin Bufferin Meclomen Uracel Butazolidin Midol Vioxx Voltaren ALL NSAIDS are also included in the above list. (See below.) DRUGS THAT ARE CONSIDERED SAFE: Benadryl Glycerin Suppositories Safetussin Colace Imodium AD Sudafed Dimetapp Milk of Magnesia Triaminics (all) Dulcolax Suppositories Peri-Colace Tylenol Fleet Enema Phazyme Tylenol Cold Products Gas-X Robitussin Tylenol Extra Strength I want to help everyone understand the reason NSAIDS are dangerous for us. Contrary to popular belief, it is not just that they are "pouch burners" as the industry wants us to believe. It goes much deeper than that. According to an article published in the June 1999 New England Journal of Medicine, NSAIDS, once absorbed into the blood stream cause a chain of chemical reactions that affect the prostaglandins and this in turn reduces the production of mucus in the GI system. The mucus is what lines our GI system and protects our pouch and intestines from damage. If the mucus production is reduced, this would allow ANYTHING, including eating something with too sharp of an edge or food that are too spicy, to inadvertently begin a marginal ulcer. The best answer is to avoid NSAIDS at all cost. Taking an H2 receptor drug, such as Prilosec, Prevacid or Nexium is only a bandaid and no guarantee it will protect you. If you are desperate to try an NSAID, I would recommend Arthrotec since it has a prostaglandin compound in it that tries to prevent the chemical reaction mentioned above, but you are still at risk for marginal ulcers anytime you take an anti-inflammatory. *By Michele Van Hook-Troesch, RN Marilyn, the Bearlady
Darlene X
on 12/21/05 9:07 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Thanks Marilyn, Hubby is super sick with a cold/cough etc and this helped a ton when I went to Walgreens last night to get him lots of drugs
Most Active