Holiday temptations

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/05 10:37 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Good morning all - is anyone else having a tough time post-op resisting all the goodies available this time of year? Recently I have found to my dismay (or delight) that I can tolerate any sugars - no dumping for me - and regardless of what yummy treat I eat, nothing happens! Not good! Im only 6 months post op (close to joining the century club - woohoo!) and I really thought I would be able to be stronger around the goodies. But no! Im trying to increase my walking, and pushing the water, any other suggestions???? Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated! Happy holidays - deb
Marilyn C.
on 12/21/05 3:22 am - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi Deb, The only suggestion I have for you is try to stay away from them & stick to mostly protein. If you stray & get into the carb mode, it is very possible you won't be able to stop the munchies. Go get a quick protein snack instead of the sugar & it should help.. I also do not dump on any thing, which sure gets scary. I have gained 10 lbs & still have 40 to lose I am 22 months out & sure don't want to gain any more weight than I already have. The stuff around me lately has been awful & I also have a hard time saying No I can't have that. My first 8 months never touched sugar than it was little there Little here. Now It is a big problem Don't go there if at all possible. Learn now how to say no. A little tast is one thing but eating a lot will only get you into trouble. I actaully made sugar free cookies this year & they were pretty darn good. Still was able to bake & eat them at the same time. I really try to stay away from the real treats but this time of year it is VERY HARD. This probably did not help, but at least you no you are not alone in the fight. Have a Great Holiday & just remember you are a lot thinner this year & will be even thinner next Christmas & that is worth all the cookies in this world. Marilyn, the bearlady
Sandy in Tucson
on 12/21/05 4:08 am - Tucson, AZ
As in any temptation and if you want not loose weight, not gain it...you got to walk away from it. Sorry, about not dumping....the surgery is a tool. Now you got to do all the work and make the operation work. Tough words I know but my opinion. And yes, i am tempted to eat goodies this Christmas season but I choose sugar free jello and pudding and other sugar free goodies. Sandy 155 lbs down
cynthia E.
on 12/22/05 2:59 am - buckeye, AZ
Debra; We are afterall human. We may have had surgery to help with our weight loss and health but we are human. I myself do not have any affect to sugar or alcohol. I talked to my PCP around halloween. He said it is ok to have a treat now and then. The key is to treat it like you are a diabetic. In otherwords watch the carbs and sugar. Eat a cookie with nuts instead of fudge or brownies. Try to pick the treats that might be lower in sugar and carbs. Remember our pouches are small, so we don't really need that much sweets to get that satisfaction feeling. Even if we don't get sick. I truly don't want to test the waters on how much I can or can't handle. I baked for the first time in 9 years last weekend. I looked for recipes in my diabetic book. Truthfully nobody could taste the difference. It was all good. I limit myself to one cookie after dinner and at work I stick to the nuts or maybe 1 hersey kiss w/almonds. I guess what I am trying to say is just limit what you do eat, and enjoy what you do eat. Hope this helps, Cynthia 13 months post op -98lbs
Most Active