Flying for the absolute first time in my life and scared to death

Sondra J. S.
on 11/21/05 7:17 am - Show Low, AZ
Ok, here's the deal, I am 31 years old and have NEVER flown on an airplane in my entire life. When I've went back to Missouri I've always taken Amtrak, well my fiance talked me into taking the plane this time and I am terrified of heights, not to mention that I am huge compared to half of the other passengers on the plane, so I am more than a little self concious (spelling) foing in....Not only am I taking an Airbus 320, but to get to Phoenix I am taking a charter plane out of Show Low to get to Phoenix a twin engine plane if I'm not mistaken....OMG I am soooooo scared, My fiance tells me it is nothing to worry about, but I am sttill scared skirtless....My PCP gave me Atavan (spelling) to calm my nerves, but I don't know I'm still pretty shook up about it 3 days before hand....I asked the airline specifically how big the seats were because I'm like 313 and 5 6, she said they were 18" wide and 16" deep, and if I needed any help, say the seatbelt didn't snap, to just ask the flight attendant and she or he would bring me an extension, I didn't know they had extentions for that, "whew" that helped a little.....Still nervous though.....Any wise words of wisdom out there from seasoned fliers for a newbie flier to help calm the nerves? I'm still shaking pretty bad and am pretty distraught....I am extrememly afraid of heights and think just standing on a chair is high up..lol.. I'm trying though, I'm a psychology major so I am trying to conquer my fears by facing them head on, hopefully it works and I'm not holding on white knuckeled the whole 2 1/2 hour flight, lol.....I'll probably kiss the ground in Phoenix and in KcMo lol..... Thanks in advance for all your help.... Sondra
Sheryl Tilley
on 11/22/05 1:54 am - Prescott, AZ
HI Sondra! As long as you don't fly Southwest Airlines you'll be ok. They are the ones that are such creeps about weight. Being on an airplace is different because of looking out the windows and seeing clouds -- which are beautiful and relaxing. Think of the floor of the airplace as still being 'a floor' - a foundation. You'll do well. Hugs! Sheryl
Trisha
on 11/22/05 1:01 pm - Glendale, AZ
I flew Southwest when I was at my highest weight and they never questioned me taking up two seats (even though I did take 1 1/2 seats). I did need a seat belt extension, so don't be afraid to ask for one. They are used to it. I am kind of scared of flying too because, I mean, what is keeping that heavy piece of machinary up in the air?? Anyway, TRY NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT. Close the window shade upon take off, Close your eyes and go to a "good place" while airplane is ascending. Don't picture yourself on the plane, but pictures yourself at home on the PC talking to me! Congrats on your 1st flight!! I know this sounds CRAZY but have your fiance take a picture of you in the airplane seat. Then....when you go on the airplane again next year or whenever, you can take another picture and compare. I flew when I was 370+ pounds (6 feet tall) and wearing 4X clothes. The last time I flew was in June to Disneyland and I can't tell you how excited I was when * I was able to lower the food tray and it not touch my stomach * I was able to buckle my seatbelt without an extension * I was able to sit in my seat with the arms down. Ahhh....... So although it may not be "comfy" for you, lift the arm up and hopefully it's not a full flight so you and your fiance can spread out. (have a seat between you, that's what I did) and then lift the arm. You can unbuckle your seatbelt once the seatbelt lights go off up in the air. And you MUST use the airplane bathroom when you are up in the air. Just so you know what it's like and think to yourself "gosh, can this bathroom be any smaller??" Have a wonderful flight. You are going to be fine!! Write us from Missouri and let us know how you did on the flight. Where are you going to in Missouri? I'm originally from KC myself. Hugs, Trisha
Sondra J. S.
on 11/22/05 2:10 pm - Show Low, AZ
Thanks Trisha and Sheryl, I'm going to Smithville which isn't that far from KC. Sadly my fiance isn't going with me, his Dr's won't allow him to go...He has lupus and his Dr's won't let him go to far from home for fear that something may go wrong and he will be so far away. I have to agree to an extent. But, I'm kinda excited, but scared at the same time.... Sondra
Most Active