Ready for Pre-op testing

Ginger
on 11/13/05 10:40 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi everybody, Got my pre-op testing at St. Luke's tomorrow a.m. I'm O.K. just alittle nervous about the artirial blood gases stuff/ the chamber of PAIN that I have been hearing about. Take care all...I'm a survivor!!! Hugs, Virginia
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/05 10:03 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Good morning Virginia - no worries!!!! It will be over before you know it! Just think of all the exciting things coming your way - this little test is so small in comparison to the GREAT experiences down the road that are waiting for you! You will do fine!
Trisha
on 11/13/05 10:45 pm - Glendale, AZ
The arterial blood test doesn't really hurt until AFTER it's done. Your wrist will just be a little sore for a few hours. But do NOT look at the nurse or the needle as it comes towards you. The needle is what is the scary part. And they'll do the arterial blood test UPSTAIRS when they are doing your EKG, it's not downstairs by admissions when they take your CBC. Make sure you shave your legs because they use your legs for the EKG. LOL I had fun on my testing day. Everyone was cheering me on and was very supportive of me. I loved it. The tests are painless. You'll be fine!! Trisha Down 115 lbs since March PhoenixWLS Support Group Leader http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixWLS/ "You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."
VeeKay
on 11/14/05 12:10 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Your probably gone by now, but I just wanted to know I am sending well wishes your way. When I had mine done, it really wasn't so bad, and the people there were very nice. I had an upper gi, which you aren't gonna have, and I didn't have to have a blood gas,, ,but hopefully you will get someone skilled and it really wont hurt that much ( I have had many of those done before,,,Im asthmatic). By the time you read this it will probably all be history for you....just think, one more thing to cross of your list before your big day.... Vee
Ginger
on 11/14/05 7:26 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Vee, I am here to report that everything went pretty well....except for....well..ur...ahhh, the upper GI. I was doing real good swallowing the barium and crystals. I didn't burp..but when they had the doctor come in to watch me drink while laying down and drinking more barium from a straw...I well....totally lost it white chalky stuff all over my gown and pillow. It was nice because the techs didn't make me feel bad...like I was a freak or something. You know, come to think of it...not one single worker there at St. Luke's made me feel like I was out-of-place somehow...unlike some of the other labs and hospitals I have been to in the past few years as being a "big girl". The blood gases weren't too bad..I only got stuck twice...I wouldn't look LOL You are sooo right Vee! I am getting out my biggest marker and marking this one right off my list!! Now tomorrow is Teaching day and then, the dreaded EDG on Thursday!! Thanks for the support everybody! Virginia
VeeKay
on 11/14/05 8:10 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Oh, you poor thing,,,I didn't think you were getting an upper GI. I sure can feel for you because i came SOOOOOO close to when I had mine, I kept telling the girl,,,IM gonna get sick,,,please hurry....fortunatly it was over quickly. I was however nauseous for the rest of the day. Twice isn't bad for a blood gas, especially when we have "fluffy" arms...LOL I guess other then the scope, the worst of it is done for you. Do you have to start a liquid diet? I have tried sooo many protien shakes ,and they all are vile,,,to me,,,,today I finally recieved my case of carnation isntant breakfast,,,when I have to go back to my liquid diet, I am going to use the carnation with the fortified milk,,,at least I can get that down.... Good luck tomorrow and Thursday,,I will be thinking of you. Vee Too bad my surgery was rescheduled,,or I would have definatly been visitng you that day,,,that was to be my 2 week follow up that day at St Lukes
Sheryl Tilley
on 11/14/05 1:39 am - Prescott, AZ
hi Virginia! You're gonna do just fine! When I look back I see how all the tests were so small in comparison to what I got in return. When I got the arterial blood test I kept repeating, "I am so lucky!" I had read that morning in the Bible to 'Count it all joy!" Hugs! SHeryl
Do-over Girl
on 11/14/05 4:25 am - Tempe, AZ
I don't remember having to have an aterial blood gas test...Is that only something that is needed if you have surgery at ST. Lukes? I had all my labs done at ScottsdaleShea and Dr. Blackstone was my surgeon and I honestly would have remembered this type of lab work. Just wanted to let folks know that this test might not be needed depending on the hospital/surgeon that you use. Did any other SBC/Blackstone's patients need or have this test done prior? I'm curious now.
Most Active