Post Op

John Rudge
on 11/8/05 3:33 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hello This is my 6th day since surgery. Everything went fine with surgery and was released two days later. The third day I ended up in the ER for major stomach/chest pains. I guess it's the gas that is having a hard time getting out. Very Painful!!! I can't seem to be drinking enough fluids (still on full liquid diet) and not doing enough lung exercizes (per nurse in ER). Any suggestions on meals and snack for these days? I'm doing broth, jello,water, Crystal Light, cream of wheat and yogurt and trying to get down the protein shakes. I'm having a very hard time eating and also trying to get in 72 oz of protein shake, 62 oz of water and then the three meals. Anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions or a step by step meal plan for these next couple of weeks that I'm on the liquid diet only? Thank you.
Darlene X
on 11/8/05 10:55 pm - Maricopa, AZ
72oz of protein shake?????? Is that a typo??? Did you mean like 72g of protein??? Cause 72oz of protein shake would be 9 cups of protein shake a day which is crazy.
Sheryl Tilley
on 11/9/05 2:36 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi John! I am 13 days out -- the 64 ounces of fluid includes your shakes. That should make it easier. Sheryl
cynthia E.
on 11/9/05 3:37 am - buckeye, AZ
John; I remember having a hard time getting it all in during the day. I finally got my protein shake to about 55 grams of protein. That would help out alot with that. I would use the GNC unflavored protein mix (3 small scoops)=39grams of protein, 8 oz milk=8grams, & 1/3 cup powdered milk=8grams. That would take me a couple of hours to drink but it was the best way for me to get my protein in. I would switch between the yogurt and soup through out the day. You can count the milk as part of your liquid. I know it is hard but you can make it! Hope this helps some. Cynthia 11 months post op, & -90lbs
Trisha
on 11/9/05 1:26 pm - Glendale, AZ
First of all, don't stress out on numbers right now (protein, water, calories, etc.). I did my first few weeks and was thinking I wasn't doing enough but I couldn't drink or eat anymore how was I supposed to do it??!! then I learned that initially after surgery we aren't able to intake all that in one day and such. We have to BUILD up to it. So build up to that. I had HORRIBLE gas pains post-op as well and it attacked my shoulders and upper back and I had my mom and sis massaging me all the time and I was really worried about it, but the surgeon said it was just gas from when they filled up my abdomen with air during the surgery. It takes a while to come out. I started taking Gas-X (Dr. Juarez recommended) and it helped. Pain went away a few days later. Your intestines will probably be making a lot of "noise" for a while. Takes a while for the air to come through. Lovely, isn't it?! When you go to your post-op follow up visit, they will tell you that you can go on pureed/soft foods. When is that visit? It might be less than 2 weeks away! We've all been there when it comes to getting tired of the liquid stuff. I know!! But hang in there!! What you are eating is right and on the list so keep on doing what you are doing. I know it's boring and redundant and blah, but you need to protect your pouch. Here are some other liquid foods that I also had while in my first 1-2 weeks: *Cream of ______ soups *Malt o Meal with butter and salt *Smoothies with protein mix and frozen fruit Also, what about cottage cheese? I dont' like it (unless it's cooked in something) but I know some post-op patients that are in their first month can tolerate it. Is that considered a "liquid"? I don't have my list handy. Maybe that's more of a "soft food". Hang in there!! We are here for you!! You are not alone. Keep us posted on your progress!! Trisha PhoenixWLS Support Group Leader http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixWLS/ "You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."
Marilyn C.
on 11/10/05 1:36 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi John Welcome to the other side & I agree with Trisha, Don't fret too much over the numbers thing right now. Just do what you can do a little at a time. I think the amount of liquid you are drinking should be enough. Make the protein shakes a little less protein in them & mix with water, they are easier to get down in the beginning. Some people can not handle milk for the first few months. So watch that. It could cause the added gas pains. If you have anyone in the House with you, the Massagging thing on your back really does help with getting the gas out of your system. You will be out of this phase soon. Take it easy & just do what you can. Do not try & get all those OZ. in at first that is what you have to work up to. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Most Active