Is popcorn ok?

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/05 1:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone - just another question to throw out there - we went to the movies this past weekend (saw 'Jarhead' - would see it again in a heartbeat just to look at those baby blues!) and I tried popcorn for the first time since my surgery 06/05. In small amounts, is popcorn a safe food to eat right now? I didnt have any problem with it, but wondered about the kernels, could they get stuck in the pouch? Anyone have any comments on this? Thank you.
Stephanie J.
on 11/8/05 2:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
Some people tolerate fiber better than others at the point you're at. I imagine that if your body was OK with it, that's a good indicator, but do watch out for larger amounts, simply because theatre popcorn is the worst calorie and saturated fat wise. Maybe better to smuggle in a protein bar instead.....- Stephanie
Brandy H
on 11/9/05 12:04 am - Glendale, AZ
hi debra, i would say popcorn is pretty safe at this point post op. just chew chew chew. i LOVE popcorn. it is my favorite snack postop. it gives me a little extra fiber which i can always use. just keep away from the butter and not too much salt! brandy
Marilyn C.
on 11/9/05 1:47 am - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi Debra, If you were still in your first few months I would say No Popcorn, But from June You should be O.K with it, just be careful, We are not suppose to be eating any kind of corn accept creamed corn. That is due to the husks can get stuck & cause problems. If you choose to eat the popcorn eat small amounts and make sure you don't eat any unpopped kernals. They will get stuck most likely. Like what was already said watch the Theatre butter stuff it could cause a dumping syndrome at the show & you might spend more time in the bathroom than seeing the movie, do to the fat contact. Your decision, I agree take a protein bar instead & water. You need to find other alternatives, Just a note, if you don't you could have problems later with weight gain. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Trisha
on 11/9/05 1:30 pm - Glendale, AZ
At 3 months out I asked the same question because how can I go to movies and not have popcorn??? I did my first couple months but I thought I could be ready for it. However, popcorn is not listed on the Bridges Center "manual". So I asked the boards. Yes...at 3 months out or more it should be safe. Just chew it up well and you'll be fine. I haven't had any problems with popcorn. I get it with butter and salt. Maybe the moisture helps. (haha...have to justify the fat). You are 5 months out now. Go for it!! Just make sure you chew every bite very well before you swallow. Don't shove a handful of popcorn in your mouth. Just be careful and conscious of your eating. You should be fine. Let us know how it goes!! Trisha PhoenixWLS Support Group Leader http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixWLS/ "You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."
Most Active