Jobs w/benefits that cover WLS?

mdh
on 10/21/05 11:06 am - Mesa, AZ
Does anyone know of employers in the valley that have insurance benefits that cover WLS? The ins through my husbands employer (United Healthcare PPO - Self Funded Plan) told me and my surgeons office that this surgery was a covered benefit. In fact, it was the insurance company *****fered me to the surgeon I chose. Anyways, when we submitted for pre authorization, they denied it and then told me that customer service was mistaken when they told me (one more than one occasion) that this is definatly covered. I was told that most of United Healthcare's ppo plans covered this, but mine didn't because it it is a self funded plan. I have been job hunting since June and I have now turned my attension in my job hunt to trying to find an employer with the benefits I need (the surgery). At this point I would be willing to take any job out there as long as it got me closer to this goal. Sooooooooooo, anyone know of anyone hiring that has these benefits???
beth0603
on 10/21/05 3:24 pm - Chandler, AZ
Look for large employers.. My work is currently hiring and my insurance through work (Cigna) is completely covering my lap band surgery. Of course plans change in January but as of now I know that all of the plans offerred are covering it. Email me at: [email protected] Beth
Darlene X
on 10/21/05 10:41 pm - Maricopa, AZ
My work is always hiring. I work for JPMorgan Chase... Its a huge call center/loan center on 24th & the I-10 by Sky Harbor Airport. Not sure what kind of working your looking for... But you have the choice between about 5-7 different health Plans (Cigna. AEtna, UHC etc). The United Healthcare High Option (Slightly more expensive than the UHC low option they offer) covers WLS. No exclusions. Hubby was approved in 7 days, no hassle, no diets, no co-morb's.... I cant be 100% sure it will be covered next year, I mean who knows.... but Im keeping that same insurance so I can look into having WLS next yr. E-mail me if your interested.
Andrea Q.
on 10/22/05 1:04 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hi Danielle- I work for Chase Bank and the AETNA plan we have does cover WLS. Also, my husband works for the Vanguard Group of Investors in Scottsdale, and their BCBS enhanced is paying for my WLS. I don't think there is a waiting period for benefits at the Vanguard Group, and I think Chase has a 90 days waiting period. Of course, open enrollment is coming and benefits are going to be changing the first of the year, so that might have some impact on things.. I think both of these companies are hiring right now. The Mayo clinic also is hiring and they do cover WLS, although I'm not sure what the co-pay or deductible is for their plans... Good Luck - remember... where there's a will, there's a way.. Keep searching and you will reap the benefits.. Andrea
Darlene X
on 10/22/05 3:18 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Danielle, Where do you work?? Branch?? Loan center???? Im at SHOC in the loan center! Darlene
Randi D.
on 10/24/05 6:59 am - Peoria, AZ
Danielle, I work for USAA. They are located at Happy Valley and I-17. We have Humana and they covered a large portion of my surgery. My company promotes wellness and are a main supporter of wls. You can apply online at usaa.com. Randi 360/230/130
Crewzer
on 10/31/05 4:25 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hi, Just finished getting my WLS. My wife works for Wells Fargo. We have UHC - the premium plan. It took less than a week to be approved. Now Dr. Juarez's office had us do a whole lot of preliminary stuff in advance. But it was alright, surgery is working well. Good luck
mdh
on 10/31/05 2:04 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post! I actually submitted several applications online with companies everyone has mentioned and with a few suggestions I got for people I've met just out and about. I decided about a month ago that I without a doubt wanted this surgery and that I would be working on nothing but making this happen as soon as I could possibly get it done. Insurance told me they would cover it - I got my hopes up very high - then they changed the story on me and denied the procedure. I was so bummed but quickly snapped out of it enough to set a game plan in place for accomplishing this goal. I called my husbands employer and told them of the experience I had had with the insurance company. I called the insurance commissioners office. I read tons of stuff on writing and submitting an appeal. I also started looking for jobs with benefits to cover this. I sat down and did the math of just what it would take for me to work my tail off till I had enough money saved to just pay cash for the dang thing. This past tuesday, October 25th, I was sitting at my desk, with a rough draft of my appeal letter I was preparing to submit, and I was getting ready to return a call to schedule an interview for on of the many jobs I had applied for, and I got the strangest call from my surgeons office. They called to tell me that the insurance company had just called them and decided to go on and pay for the surgery!!!!! Even though there was a specific exclusion for it on our policy!!!! And I had not even filed my first appeal yet!!!! I was planning to fight this but honestly did not think I would get very far since there is a written exclusion!!!!!!! Turns out they decided to do the morally right thing and go on and pay for it because they had already told me and my surgeons office that it was a covered benefit (even though it wasn't on my plan at all). Nuts huh??????????? I'm blown away - and totally THRILLED! Surgery is already scheduled for three weeks from today. YEE HAW!
Most Active