Gaining & can't eat

Kabaa
on 10/20/05 2:22 am - Tempe, AZ
Hi All i am 12 weeks out of lap RNY. In first 9 weeks i lost about 90#. then I stopped for about 3 weeks rocking up and down 3 lbs. today I am up nearly 8 lbs. I am not able to eat hardly anything. My diet is vitamins, 2 protein shakes, and probably 3-6 oz of food per day (applesauce, sf yogurt, peanut butter and maybe a few sips of clear soup). I eat no veggies, meat, poultry, fish, no nothing because I tend to throw up anythng of substance. I do not believe I have a stricture. I think my pouch and opening are extra small but that wouldn't account for rejecting food. So my question is does anybody have any opinion as to why i've stopped losing and why i've gained. And if you have any thoughts about my inability to eat please let me know. I read on the boards where people at 12 weeks out are eating just about everything imaginable. Like an egg, a little sausage and toast for breakfast. Wow! What I wouldn't give to be able to eat that. I took advice and bought Wendy's chili, ate 3 tsp. of just the broth and an hour later threw it up. That's how it is every time I try something new. Help! p.s. please don't advise exercise as i've been in bed for nearly 3 months since surgery due to complications plus i am walking disabled. there must be some explanation however....... frustrated and confused fran baseden
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/20/05 6:59 am - Prescott, AZ
HI Fran! You need to immediately call your surgeon's office. NOT your PCP -- your surgeon. That's what we were told to do in these kinds of situations at the ABC classes I went to at St. Luke's Tuesday. Best wishes and I'll say prayers for you. Hugs! SHeryl
Stephanie J.
on 10/21/05 3:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
I don't quite understand why you're discounting the possibility of stricturing - as someone who suffered with them myself, it sounds like you have a classic case to me. Another little known fact of the stricturing process is that your body realizes that it is truly starving and starts working against the weight loss by sending out a barrage of steroids. I stopped losing dead in my tracks for a few weeks until I got the strictured area opened back up. The steroid push also can make you very emotionally unstable at that point. I know what "roid rage" is like as I experienced crying and angry spells during that time that were very uncarachteristic of my normal personality... But yes, whether my amateur diagnosis is correct or not, this needs to be reported immediately to your surgeon. Good luck.- Stephanie J
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/22/05 7:13 am - Prescott, AZ
HI Fran! I'm very concerned about you. DId you talk to your surgeon's office yet? Please let us know how you are doing. Hugs! SHeryl
Most Active