Allergic to oranges

Trisha
on 10/17/05 11:16 am - Glendale, AZ
I developed a rash on my face, neck, hands and wrists this past week. I tried every kind of OTC cream/ointment there was, even took Benadryl. To no avail. Went to my PCP today and it turns out that I am allergic to citrus fruits now. I'm like what the?? I have been having a lot of oranges and orange juice lately, I've been craving it like something awful. Well, that explains the rash. So I'm on two diff medications orally and one kind of cream. I tell ya, when I weighed over 300, I never had any medical problems. No surgeries, no hospitalizations, nothing major. Since my WLS in March I had gallstones in June which resulted in me getting my gallbladder out, then walking pneumonia in August, Pancreatitis last month and now an allergic reaction to oranges. LOL But I tell you this, if I had to do it all over again I would. I am a very healthy person and all my tests come back negative when they test me on stuff, so it's just part of life's journies. I'm just sick of paying co-pays. Ugh...I'm co-paid out between the dr's offices, hospitals and pharmacies. When I went to go get my RX's filled today for my rash, I pulled up to the drive through and the tech there actually said, "Hi, Trisha." I'm like omg, am I here that often??? LOL LOL I guess with all the stuff I've been through the last few months, I've been there quite often. Who knows. Anyway, so I am on the mend yet again. No more OJ or oranges for me (or lemons or limes). Just passing this on in case anyone else out there is experiencing something similar or will in future. Glad I went to doc today. Trisha
Stephanie J.
on 10/17/05 1:19 pm - Tucson, AZ
Geez Leweeez, Trisha! Thank Heavens you have a good attitude or you'd be on the Prozac by now for sure! Keep your chin up! Sometimes, after a while, wls induced allergies will resolve themselves if you just stay away from the offensive item. I've heard of people being really lactose intollerant for a while and then slowly introducing milk products again with success. - Stephanie
Marilyn C.
on 10/17/05 10:57 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hey Trisha, The allergies to citrus can happen even if you had not had the surgury/ My mom had it for years & now she can eat oranges again. by the way your new picture looks great. You have done really well. Keep it up. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Trisha
on 10/19/05 10:37 am - Glendale, AZ
Oh yeah, I know it's not WLS related. Just one of those things. hahaha! I will probably eat oranges or drink OJ again, just not for a while and when I do I will just do a little so I don't set things off again. Not fun. Trisha
Most Active