desperate

Penny F.
on 10/16/05 12:42 pm - Mesa, AZ
hello everyone. My name is Penny. I was wondering cause I did the diet that my Dr. had me on. Which was for 6 months. And all I did was go up a pound and then go down a pound. Does anyone only had the diet that there doctor put them on and the insurance accepted that diet. Or do you have to go through weigh****chers or something?
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/16/05 12:52 pm - Prescott, AZ
Hi Penny! I had records from my PCP of six months and I went to a six month thing (3 visits) with the dietician at YRMC here in Prescott. They accepted my diet booklet record from TOPS. SHeryl
Ginger
on 10/16/05 4:40 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Penny, I had to do the 6-month diet thing as an insurance requirement. It wasn't required as a criteria..on the BCBS of empire list of things to do...however, they said that I needed more proof that I tried all I could to loose the weight on my own. I think if I had "padded" my diet history in the first place, I wouldn't had to go through the 6- month thing. I had to be weighed in my MD's office and a form had to be filled out each month. You couldn't miss a month or you would have to start all over again (stupid huh) I actually gained a few pounds and my blood pressure went up during this 6 month deal. I had my MD write a letter, I submitted my medical records (so they could verify) and that monthly form and Dr. Fang's office resubmitted it. I was kinda bitter for awhile because of the stress of the 6-month thing and the crazy hoops I had to jump through...but now I'm fine...just waiting for my surgery date cause I just got approved on Wednesday!!! It sounds like you have everything you need. I would get, though updated medical records of the time you were on the 6-month diet as a back-up if there are any questions. Good luck to you on your journey...let us know how it works out for you! Virginia
Trisha
on 10/17/05 4:02 am - Glendale, AZ
I had Aetna and they did not accept weigh****chers. I went on a 6 month diet supervised "diet" and gained and lost the same 5 lbs all 6 months. LOL Insurance companies don't care if you gained, lost or maintained, just that you stuck to it for 6 months. Although the diet dr's menu plan was what I would call a "concentration camp diet". It consisted of a 900-calorie a day diet plan with NO fat. Fat-free everything, puhleeeze!! I did what I could, exercised and just weighed in with him once a month. I tried, I really did, but when I was over 360 pounds, 900 cals a day is like death. Trisha
dmwilson
on 10/17/05 9:47 am - tucson, AZ
Hi Penny I have UHC-EPO they did not require the 6-mth diet. I was approved without it.It all depends on your insurance and what they require, go under insurers on obesity.com look up your state and insurance, this will have lots of feed back from people dealing with your specific insurance group. DIANE
Most Active