Tell us your weight loss.......

Sandy in Tucson
on 10/2/05 2:14 am - Tucson, AZ
I have noticed less and less acitvity on this messageboard. I am just wanting to know everyones weight loss and how everything is going since their weight loss surgery. I am Sandy, I live in Tucson. My Rny-open was last Nov. 4-2004-Dr. Fang. My highest weight was 347.....weight at surgery was 340...my weight now is 199. I am feeling better than I have in 20 years. My diabetes has been in control since 9 days out from surgery. You never get rid of diabetes, but normal blood sugars are fantastic. I still take metformin 500 mg 2x times a day. I have noticed if I do not take my metformin, I get hungry---real hungry. I am a steady loser, losing 20 lbs since August 1 of this year. I have had to eliminate cheese and peanut butter from my diet, to keep losing. I went to a seminar with Dr. Simpson of Phx, Az and he said point blank cheese and peanut butter are not diet foods, so since I have eliminated them from my diet, the scales move steadily. I am so thrilled I had the surgery. I was the last person for the school district I work for that paid for the surgery. Our insurance now has a difinite exculsion...what a darn crime!!!!! Since then 3 of my co-workers are self pays....alittle over 100,000 dollars for the 3 of them to get healthy. I could of never afforded to be a self pay. My Angels knew I am broke, so the surgery was paid for by insurance. My regrets, is not having the surgery 4 yrs ago, but I was still in obesity denial then. I still felt, I could loose the weight all by myself....but it never happened. Now, I try to walk or ride my mountain bike everyday. I feel better and look better, and my health is so much better. What can I say. The surgery works, if you work the surgery. I plan to get to goal and stay there with excercise. I hope each and everyone of you are doing as well as I am. Dr. Simpson has some good books out to read for further investigation on WLS surgery. I read the messageboards for obesity help everyday. I plan to go to the obesity conference in Dec. in Calif. for obesityhelp.com. I hope I see all of you there. Sandy in Tucson 340/199/150
Darlene X
on 10/2/05 4:32 am - Maricopa, AZ
Congrats Sandy!!! You have done amazing!!! I just love Dr Fang, he has a great bed side manner. I cant comment on loss, cause Hubby just had his surgery 4 days ago LOL Just wanted to say congrats on a great job!! Darlene
meachamw
on 10/2/05 6:22 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Surgery was July 11th. I'm down 61 pounds from 309 to 248. I've gone from XXL to XL in shirts and from 46 - 42 in pants (42's are a little big now). Most importantly my blood sugars are normal and that's the reason I had the surgery. Diabetes was gonna get me. My surgery was by Dr. Juarez. He and his staff have been great. Bill
Wendella
on 10/2/05 6:10 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Sandy My surgery was 5-19-05 weight (on my scale) 285 today.... I weight 201! I am thrilled. I am very thankful for both ins. and Dr. Kieran. I would not have been able to do it with out either. Wendy 285/201/150
sallyann
on 10/2/05 11:17 pm - page, AZ
Hi Sandra jean... Your wls journey is inspirational. I have just started the process. I have investigated about as much as possible and have decided that this is the best choice for me. Its good to know that you dont regret the surgery. I meet with Dr Fang this Thursday 10.6.05. I will also go to my first seminar, meet with the psychologist for the evaluation and results. I live 275 miles away , the Bridges center is trying to get as many appts in as possible for each visit. I would love to start the new year with WLS!! It is a shame that insurance companies make it so difficult or deny the surgery. It is clear from your post and all the others that the WLS is probably less expensive overall that treating the ill patient for many years...and you would hope that the ins company would have your best interest in mind. They should want YOU healthy!! I believe all those who have fought for this surgery and have forged the way are heros...they have made this surgry available and have forced the medical society to make it safer . If I lived closer to Tucson I would be there for the November celebration..Good Luck, Have fun and keep us posted? Love to hear from you. May God Bless, Sally
Brandy H
on 10/3/05 1:21 am - Glendale, AZ
there IS less activity on this board! what's up with that? anyways, my story: I just turned 31 years old last week. I struggled and struggled with losing weight seeking out a personal trainer, a nutritionist and regularly worked out with minimal success. I had thought about the surgery when someone I know had it but I kept thinking that I could lose the weight by myself. But then I had a "moment of clarity" or something and came to the decision to have surgery. I had surgery with Dr. Juarez on July 8, 2005. (almost 3 months out) I started with the weight of 357.6 and I currently weigh 308. I have lost 48 lbs but the best is that i have lost 52.75 inches!!! I am shrinking! hehe. I am down from a tight size 28 pants to a 22 and in shirts from a 26 to a 20....I FIT IN OLD NAVY CLOTHES!!! WOOHOO! that was a major goal! I have absolutely NO REGRETS! i am very happy that I had the surgery. I excercise 3-4 times a week at the gym and I can eat just about everything. just in small amounts. I do have a problem with dry meats or sometimes leftovers that i try to microwave (they are just a bit on the dry side and "stick". But other than that I seem to be able to eat anything else. I feel great...my knees don't hurt when I am standing and doing hair for 10 hours a day. I look better...I know I do but it sure doesn't hurt hearing it from clients and friends all the time either ;) And I know that I am healthier...little tasks don't get me winded anymore. I think that WLS is definately a personal decision and I don't think anyone should talk you into it or try and talk you out of it as it is YOUR decision alone. I think people should definately do their research and make sure it is the right think for them. I truly believe that this was the best decision I have ever made. Brandy
Most Active