Pre Surgical Diet ??

Tammy M.
on 9/26/05 8:18 am - Tucson, AZ
Was hoping for help with a pre surgical diet from my Doc. But nothing so far (18 days out from surgery). Am so concerned about my body being ready for all it's going to go through. Does any one have a copy of a pre surgical diet that they were given? Thanks for any help. Tammy
diamanti1
on 9/26/05 9:40 am - Peoria, AZ
Didn't really have a pre-surgery diet...but was told many times that it is essential to lose 10 to 15 pounds prior to surgery so it increases the room around your liver. I did have some restrictions 2 days prior to surgery...no heavily fatty foods or carbs.....day of bowel prep had scrambled egg and then no other food. You could try the first week post op diet....broth, sfff jello, and herbal tea.......best of luck.
Tammy M.
on 9/26/05 10:11 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks Will give it a try. Thanks Tammy
mrs.3m
on 9/26/05 9:51 am - Mesa, AZ
By pre-surgical....do you mean what you can eat in the days prior to surgery? Or do you mean, a diet that will help you lose weight before surgery? If you mean the first, I was told no heavy meals, stick with salads and such. I didn't have to do a bowel prep, but the day before all I had was an egg and toast for breakfast, a cup of soup for lunch and a salad for dinner. Nothing after 8:00 pm I think it was. If it is the latter, your doc really should have given you a guidline of some sort. Since it seems as though he didn't, I would just tell you the last week before, do not eat anthing high in fat at all. No red meat, no pastas, no fried foods. Hope that helps.
Tammy M.
on 9/26/05 10:10 am - Tucson, AZ
There is referance in several web sites and books I read about the need to pre surgically(sp) prepare the liver for the body's transition from eatting like a horse to smaller meals and less need for breakdown. Didn't really know how important is is to follow this. Tammy
Most Active