Slumped shoulders & upper back pain

Trisha
on 9/22/05 9:20 am - Glendale, AZ
I am 6 months out and down 101 lbs. I have noticed that I don't stand up as straight as I did and my shoulders are rounded. It's an effort to stand up straight and be comfortable now. Plus I am noticing pain in my upper back between my shoulders. I heard from one patient that post-ops should see a chiropractor for adjustment every 50 lbs. If so I am long over-due. I've never been to a chiro before. I prided myself in having good posture for being as tall as I am (about 6 feet even) and now it seems I don't have good posture after all. Maybe my fat in my back made it SEEM like I was standing up straight??? I don't know. Has anyone else experienced this post-op? What did you do about it? Have you heard the "adjustment" at chiro every 50 lbs as well? Am curious about this. Thanks! Trisha -101 lbs
Do-over Girl
on 9/22/05 12:23 pm - Tempe, AZ
I have not heard about this...but it makes sense if you think about it. When we are heavy our body adjusts and compensates; how we stand, bend, sit, reach....Think about it when you notice a woman who is pregnant and never been over weight for example how they are when they go to sit, bend down or walk. Many of us, myself included have a large amount of weight around our tummies, tush and chest. I have already had to adjust my seat belt and car seat (moving it closer to steering wheel). I will be having my first massage post surgery this weekend as I feel my neck/shoulders/back are out of whack. Pre-surgery I would have massages at least 2x a month. That has been a treat to myself and helped with cope with work stress and muscle soreness etc. I'm worth it. There are a number of massage schools locally where you can get very affordable massages, spa treatments and adjustments by either the students or fully licensed instructors (more exp with instructors). My previous chiropractor used to adjust pregnanat patients,children, babies and kids that carried heavy backpacks. Spinal alignment is such an important thing. Prior to a major car accident I was so afraid and skeptical about seeing a chiropractor but I found the right one and was able to get the help I needed. It is so weird to feel what it is like to be correctly aligned. And as I mentioned many of us have been heavy for a long time and our body isn't used to the changes (yet.) So a long winded answer to your question Trisha but hopefully it makes some sense?
lemarie22
on 9/22/05 5:27 pm - Glendale, AZ
I've seen a chiropractor for the last 10 years so that was nothing new. What was new was I started going to a physical therapist. I found that to be a huge benefit and I learned a lot. She said that she sees a lot of overweight patients who have shoulder problems because obese people tend to carry their arms forward instead of letting them fall naturally at their sides. Partly because their arms and bodies are larger and they just don't fall naturally at the sides like thinner people and partly because we tend to hunch over to hide ourselves. She gave me a lot of exercises to strengthen my upper back and pull my shoulders back. She also helped with my legs. Because my legs were large, I walked with an affected gait to accomodate my size. This caused my outer thigh muscles to develop and pulled certain tendons and effected my knees. I've had lots of personal trainers, but didn't get the same benefit that I did with a physical therapist. I would really recommend seeing a physical therapist as well as a chiropractor. The chiropractor can align the spine, but it's proper muscle balance and toning that will help keep the spine in alignment. Connie
Marilyn C.
on 9/22/05 9:59 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Yup!, Iwould love to see my chiropractor, unfortunately. without Insuracne for another couple of months, that is impossible right now. I have lost 145 lbs since my surgery & have lots of sholder & upper back problems. I always had some problems when I was heavy, but,now they are a little different. Go for it, If you can. It will help I am sure of it. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Michele M.
on 9/25/05 9:19 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
I had issues with my hips early on. It was explained to me that with weight loss comes a shift in your center of gravity, which causes you to walk and move differently. While this is a good thing, your body starts using muscles, joints, ligaments differently to change how you move. Which leads to soreness and for me, a great deal of pain during the transition. After losing 50lbs I was unable to stand and walk without major pain and tears, this lasted about a month and then one day I was fine again. When I hit the 13 month mark, my back started hurting, burning etc. And one day I was walking through the kitchen and my left leg just gave out (at the hip) and dumped me on the floor. I finally went to see a chiropractor, who explained that certain muscle groups that had been overcompensating for my too short right leg, were now protesting. He said that my obesity kept me from realizing how badly my hips were skewed to begin with. Now it is time to pay the piper! The good news is after a week of daily therapy, ice packs and adjustments, and a lift in my shoe I am SOOO much better. Now that I am getting straight (so to speak) I realize just how much pain I was in, and how uncomfortable I have been for so long, but I just tolerated it. I don't know how often you should get adjustments, but every 50 lbs doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Sounds like a good plan. Michele 265/137/135
Clara W.
on 9/26/05 1:55 am - Benson, AZ
Trisha, My back got so bad I ended up in Physical Thearpy. Best thing I ever did. They gave me exercises to do and also alighned my back. I have always had lower back problems so it is something that I live with. But the exercise when I remember to do them are GREAT to use to help yourself and when you have to sit for long times, helps a whole lot Clara -180 lbs
cynthia E.
on 9/26/05 7:59 am - buckeye, AZ
I have real bad lower back, hip and knee pain. After my primary had x-rays done. He said that I have spurs that have formed on the bones. Some days are better then others. I have seen a Chiropractor since I was child. I found one on my insurance that I love. He also deals with preasure points. He explained to me the reason everything hurts more now then before weight loss is that we don't have that fat protecting the bones. He tells me that it will get better. As soon we get to where we need to be our bodies will straighten up and our posture will come back. The body is going through so many changes our bones are part of it. I go see him once a month for complete adjustment. I feel so much better. About the 3rd week, I know I need to make an appointment. He gave me some stretching exercises to do in the morning before I get out of bed. They sure do work. Hope this helps, Cynthia
Most Active