Took Step One Today

Julie B.
on 8/28/05 1:02 pm - Glendale, AZ
This is my first post to this board ! I was here a couple years ago but never went any further than thinking about having surgery till now. I went to the informational meeting at Scottsdale Bariatric with Dr. Blackstone this afternoon. She was wonderful and gave out so much great information. I have my new patient packet almost all filled out. My husband came with me and is behind me in this 100%++. Already told him after surgery will be needing to do some major shopping and that I want to have matching bras and panties from Victoria Secret . NO MORE granny panties! lol I am really excited to be making this decision and want you all to know that I have been reading this board for a long time and it has been so helpful to me. Thank you all for being there now and in the future. Is there anyone that did the 6 month medically supervised program with Scottsdale Bariatric? I figure it will be just as easy to do with them as they know how to document it all for the insurance comany. julie
desert rat
on 8/29/05 1:29 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Julie, Congrats on the 1st step. I had to laugh about you telling your hubby you were going to start shopping at Victoria's Secret. That's exactly what I told my hubby!! He's says that's okay with him. Back in the old days when I could have worn such things, I was too poor to afford them. Now that I have the money, I no longer have the shape...but that's going to change. Sorry I can't help with the 6 month plan. I went through an endrocrinologist in down town Phx. She had WLS 8 years ago and was very supportive. Once I completed the 6 months with her, I was approved for surgery the first time through (this time). So she must have documented everthing well enough. Plus, she was a LOT closer than SBC. Best of luck and welcome to the boards. There's lots to learn and soon you'll be a teacher too. Dj
Melissa P
on 8/30/05 12:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Julie, I am also new going through Scottsdale Bariatric. My insurance company requires a 3 month diet before surgery. I have my firt appointment with Dr.Amershad at Scottsdale Bariatric tomorrow to start the 3 month diet program. I will keep you updated on how it goes. They all seem really helpful and friendly at Dr. Blackstones office. Thanks! Melissa
Pamela E.
on 9/1/05 7:58 am - Buckeye, AZ
Hi Julie, I have gone through the six month medically supervised diet with Dr. Emershad at Scottsdale Bariatric Center. It was the easiest diet I've ever been on. However, let me caution you to find out from your insurance provider exactly what they require. I was told by Dr. Emershad that it was not necessary to lose a full 10% of my beginning weight - that as long as I lost 5% or more I would be fine. She said the insurance providers simply want to know you can commit yourself to a lifestyle change. I reached the end of my six months and had lost about 8% of my weight, but on the day of my last weigh-in she told me they had just found out that my insurance provider required I lose the WHOLE 10% and no exceptions! My problem was that I lost that 8% in the first 3 months, and then had gained it all back by the end of the six months. SBC said I'd have to keep going until I reached the 10% mark. I was so angry they had not found this out at the beginning of the six months instead of at the end, but ultimately the responsibility always rests with you. The good news is that we decided to go ahead and submit my request for pre-certification with just the 8% weight loss, and even though I was denied initially, I was approved after my first appeal. I am now scheduled for surgery Sept. 28th. You have to be proactive and not just sit back and let SBC do all the work for you. I can't stress this enough. Stay on top of them, and good luck!
Julie B.
on 9/2/05 2:19 am - Glendale, AZ
Thanks everyone for all your positive support! I am still working on getting my packet ready to send to SBC..man there is alot of info! Will keep you all posted! j
Melissa P
on 9/2/05 4:54 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Julie, Just an update! I had my first appointment with Dr. Emershad and she was very nice. She went over a high protein diet and exercise program with me. It seems like a really good plan and prepares you for the high protein eating that you will have to do after surgery. My next appointment is Sept 26th and I am also scheduled for my psychological test that day also. So I am excited and glad that everything is moving along. Good luck on whatever diet program you choose. Thanks! Melissa
Stephanie H.
on 9/2/05 5:05 pm - St. Louis, MO
Congrats on your first step!! Just out of curiosity, since I haven't been around in a long while.... who is Dr. Emershad and where does he work out of? Steph Dr Juarez 9/27/01 300/ 160/ 160
Most Active