New Member! Looking for Help/Info

Tammy D.
on 8/22/05 8:57 am - Arizona City, AZ
Hi! My name is Tammy. I'm 25 years old, weight around 280lbs... I've been over the 200 point since I was about 16 years old. I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), Colitis, Reflux, Insulin Resistant, and ruptured 2 disc's in my back in 2000 which were operated on in 2003 getting rid of about 75% of the pain. I've recently, after years of debate and putting it off, trying everything else, decided to have WLS. I'm pretty certian that the RNY lap is for me... although the open would give me a matching scar in the front to go with the 10 inch scar on my back... I am looking for a great doctor in the phoenix area who does the RNY. I'd gotten very excited about Dr. Simpson (I like his sense of humor) only to find out via email from him today that he only does LapBand now... which my insurance does NOT cover. I've called my insurance company to find out what the requirements are for qualifying and what sort of pre-requisits they have in order for me to get the surgery done and was told that they couldn't "see" anything mentioning a Dr. Supervised 6 month diet, and that all it said was be 100lbs or more over my ideal body weight, have a BMI >35 with a problem, or >40 without another problem, and well I have other problems and have it over 40. Once I find a doctor I like I'm going to find out if I need a referal or what needs to be done with my PCP... or at least thats the plan... unless anyone knows if I should go through my PCP first? Any clues? Anyways I'm looking for as much information as anyone can give on all of this... And any help that will help set me up for approval and getting everything together... Thanks for listening! I've been lingering for a bit and all of you seem great! Tammy
Trisha
on 8/22/05 4:28 pm - Glendale, AZ
Hi, welcome aBOARD!! Glad you posted. Depending on your insurance you will most likely need a referral from your PCP for your surgeon. I had Dr. Fang who works with Dr. Juarez and both are great surgeons!! Dr. Robin Blackstone (only female bariatric surgeon in AZ) is also very highly recommended. All the above do laproscopic RNY. If you want an open incision (which I wouldn't recommend because it takes longer to heal and you'll be off work longer), the Barix Clinics in Scottsdale do all open RNY surgeries there. Dr. Villares and Dr. Vahn are also spoken of highly on here and they do laproscopic RNY. I hope this helps!! That's good your insurance doesn't require a 6 month dr supervised diet. Lucky dog!! LOL But make absolutely sure before the surgeon sends your info in to the insurance company. Also call your insurance company (# on your card) and see if there is a WRITTEN EXCLUSION on your employer's policy regarding weight loss surgery. As of 2005, many companies had that excluded. Don't ask your employer, ask the insurance company directly and give them your policy number so they can look your group number up and employer's policy. I can say for myself that having this surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself!! I have no regrets! When we come to this decision in our lives, it means we've exhausted all other ways to get more healthy. We need serious help in getting a tool to help us eat smaller. This is the way to get that done. Keep us posted on who you choose for your surgeon and as well as all your pre-op progress!! It's a fascinating journey!! Hugs, Trisha -92 lbs so far! Dr. Fang - Lap RNY - 3/8/05 My Profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=J1078291194 Join the general Phoenix Metro WLS Support Group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixWLS Having Weight Loss Surgery is the BEST thing I ever did for myself!
Trisha
on 8/22/05 4:30 pm - Glendale, AZ
Oh and here is a link on patient feedbacks on surgeons listed here on this site. My surgeon (Dr. Daniel Fang) is not listed, but he works with Dr. Juarez. This is not a complete listing of all surgeons in Arizona. But it's a good place to start with patient feedback. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeons+in+arizona.html Hugs, Trisha -92 lbs so far! Dr. Fang - Lap RNY - 3/8/05 My Profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=J1078291194 Join the general Phoenix Metro WLS Support Group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixWLS Having Weight Loss Surgery is the BEST thing I ever did for myself!
Wendella
on 8/22/05 6:06 pm - Mesa, AZ
Ok I had Dr. Kieren who is a partner with Dr. Blackstone and LOVED her. I can not say enough about her. My weight before surgery was 285 on May 19, 2005 Today I am 218. I have not been in an XL in a decade atleast. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. I am a fairly new newbie but I am 67lbs down and still losing what seems like slowly but in the large picture is fairly fast. I have had to give away mounds of clothing to uncover clothing I forgot I even had. I was scared to death to have surgery but I am so happy now that it is over. The only down side is my jewelry is falling off. I need to make some extra money to resize things when I am done loosing. I wish you the best of luck and all my prayers. Also go to pcp for a referral to a surgeon that will be covered. If you get a rejection keep pushing forward. I pushed for 15mos and it worked Remember no is not in your vocabulary.
Tammy D.
on 8/23/05 4:15 am - Arizona City, AZ
Thank you guys so much! I wont lie, I'm nervous as heck about this whole thing, but feel deep down that this is the way to go. It was a very hard decision to make to do something so drastic, but when looking back on my life I'm certian it's the ONLY choice I have left. I actually felt a wave of relief when I finally made the choice to have it done... I'd been debating for years whether to or not. My husband and family fully support my decision and that was another great helper. Thanks at ton again! Tammy
Shrinking F.
on 8/24/05 1:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
Congrats and good luck with everything. I had my surgery in Phoenix, and though am living in California am returning home in a couple weeks. I had OPEN RNY 01-13-04, have lost 150 lbs and feel fantastic. I can't speak for other surgeons in the Phoenix area as my surgeon has moved and is no longer there. I can say that a couple dear friends who have had this surgery had Dr. Juarez and have had nothing but great things to say about him. As I said, I had mine open, have a 3 inch scar, was back at work in two weeks and feel fantastic. Haven't had any healing issues at all. My reasoning behind having it open was two fold, first off, I wanted Doc to be able to see what he was doing, no****ch it on a video screen and second, I'd rather deal with one incision than a number of them that are smaller, less open area to have issues with. Now those are my reasons for doing it open, everyone has to make their own decision and I don't think that either is better than the other. If you ever have any question, please don't hesitate to email me anytime. I'm happy to answer anything I can and help out in whatever way I can. Just remember, I can only speak for MY journey and advice is based on what I've been through. Hugs to you and good luck... Fanny Open RNY 01-13-04 297/150/happy as a lark
Kathy S.
on 8/24/05 2:46 pm - PHX, AZ
Hi! I'm beginning my journey too! Do not be afraid to ask questions of your insurance company. My WLS coverage is processed through a separate network. I was accepted this week as a new patient with Dr Blackstone's office. So far I am so inpressed with everything and everyone. My psych eval, physician consult are done and my meeting with the nutritionist is tomorrow. This truly is a journey and the decision is one only you alone can make. I weigh 327 and am 5;8" and 42 years young. My medical family tree is full of diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure and heart problems. Friday I am facing a heart cath at AZ Heart to find out why I had anabnormal stress test. SCARY!!!!! I will do what it takes to be healthy. Which ever doctor you end up with I would recommend attending their support group if possible. I learned so much! I wish you success in this process and this board is wonderful! Kathy
Tammy D.
on 8/25/05 3:58 am - Arizona City, AZ
You guys are so wonderful! I really appreciate everything all have posted! I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday to discuss the surgery (my insurance said they require a phycisians refferal)... for awhile there I was worried that he might be an anti-WLS doctor, and then my husband told me that even he brought it up when we first met him... so thats a sigh of relief... The only bad thing is that right now even if insurance pushes things through quickly it'll have to be after the holiday season when I get the surgery. I'm pretty sure I have a job locked in with Olan Mills portrait studio's and I dont see them allowing me back if I ditch them at thier busiest season. Anyways gotta go walk the doggies! Thanks again!
Most Active