Lab band vs. Roux-en-Y???

Gaill
on 8/15/05 5:23 pm - Tucson, AZ
I need input from anyone having had either of these procedures. I'm trying to decide which I should elect. My BMI is around 48 and so I want to achieve maximum wt loss. With the band, they say you may loose between 1/3 and 2/3 of your excess weight. I know everyone is different and I'm a slow loser. Can anyone give me a testimony!!
Brandy H
on 8/16/05 5:13 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Gail, I had the same question. When I went in for the seminar someone in the audience asked Dr. Juarez "who decides which kind of surgery I will have" and Dr. Juarez raised his hand and laughed and said "I DO!" he said that ultimately it's a combination of the dr, you and insurance will decide which surgery is right for you. And that MOST insurances will only pay for RNY. That being said, I asked him when I went in for my consultation and he said that I would be a better candidate for RNY. So that is what I had. Hope that helps. Brandy
Stephanie J.
on 8/21/05 3:06 pm - Tucson, AZ
Make no mistake about it....Dr. Juarez will ALWAYS tell you you're a better candidate for the RNY. If there's anyone he's told differently, let me know and I'll eat some crow, but I don't think that's gonna happen. RNYs are what he prefers and what the insurance companies pay for. That's the bottom line. As far as what's best in this situation, it probably is the RNY because, at a 48 BMI, it's gonna be a lot harder and slower to lose down to goal with the lap band. - Stephanie J
Most Active