Starting a businees & Small group Health Insurance

Gaill
on 8/11/05 2:04 pm - Tucson, AZ
My husband is starting a small business (2 employees - me and him) and I'm looking into small group insurance. My problem is ALL the insurance companies have some sort of obesity or wt loss tx/therapy or surgery for wt loss/gain(I wish). I think I need to find out what exact wording I need to look for or find out if these are listed may they be overturned for medical necessity. A General Exclusion may be overturned for medical necessity.. I think.. Unfortunately I'm not an insurance guru and there are so many wordings I don't know exactly what can be acceptable. Plus, I think since my husband is the employer he should be able to say what services he wishes to be included. And another thing, I am considered Morbidly Obese with a BMI of 50. Anybody have any input?
VeeKay
on 8/11/05 9:21 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
I am no insurance expert and by no means is this "legal advise",lololol BUT,,I can tell you that I just went to my surgeons seminar a few nights ago,and the insurance girl told us to look for wording that said "non-covered expense", she said THAT would mean "medical nessessity",,,she said if our policy read, "written exclusion", then you are pretty much out of luck,,,or headed for a long, long, battle. Hope that helps some. Vee PS: There is also a INSURANCE HELP message board, that has lots of good advise as well.
Jenn T
on 8/17/05 11:15 pm - Tempe, AZ
Hi Gail, Have you asked your WL Doc? If you don't have one yet, maybe you could call and ask the insurance person at the office you want to go to. The one at my Docs office was very helpful and knowledgeable. They might be able to provide you with valuable info. Good luck to you! Jenn
Most Active