what do you miss the most?

lemarie22
on 8/6/05 4:43 am - Glendale, AZ
I miss nothing. I'm a year and a half out and find that I can eat a bite or two of anything. I can't go over a bite or two with carbs or sugar or I'll dump, but just a little goes a long way and I'm satisfied. I used to be a diet soda addict and didn't know how I was going to get over my addiction. I find that I don't miss it at all. A friend and I went on a long motorcycle ride last year and at the end there was nothing to drink but beer or diet soda. I tried flattening the soda and took one little sip. Yuk! I felt like someone had shoved and air hose down my throat and tried to blow me up like a Macy's parade float. Never again. Don't miss it at all. I do think one of the things that keep me from missing soda or candy is the iced coffee that I make for myself every day. I use sugar free caramel syrup from Cost Plus, decaf coffee and a splash of skim milk. It's sweet, cold and I feel like I'm spoiling myself. Connie
Stephanie J.
on 8/7/05 6:04 am - Tucson, AZ
That IS key, Connie. Finding healthy substitutes. Although I do a C2 every couple of days (which I know IS a no-no), I used to drink three or four regular sodas every day. The C2 fills the fizz lust, cost only 60 calories and I usually only drink about half of it. I also drink a lot of tea, mostly with sweet 'n low. One trick I also use is taking anything that I like the taste of that has lots of sugar (like Arizona Ice Tea or any juice), and cutting it at least in half with water. It's easy, as the sugar load these things normally have tastes repulsively sweet to me now. This trick really comes in handy when I'm at a party or someplace that doesn't have anything else appropriate to drink. - Stephanie J
Trisha
on 8/7/05 8:14 pm - Glendale, AZ
At first I missed pizza, but about 3 months out I was able to eat a slice and be full. Which was amazing because before I could eat a lot of slices pre-op!! Weird just having one slice and being stuffed. So at first it was pizza, then I found I could eat it. I guess at 5 months out, what I miss the most is bread. Like when I go out to eat at Macaroni Grill, Red Lobster, Outback, etc. they serve some AWESOME warm bread. I know that if I have two bites of it, I'll be full (because bread expands in our tummies). So I have to pass on it and wiat for my protein/meal to be served. Pre-op, I'd be filling up on bread and pepsi before the meal came. Also at Cracker Barrel, I could eat 2-3 biscuits they serve - with gravy or with butter - and still eat my meal they served me. Now, I can't. I went there a few weeks ago and had 1/2 a biscuit and then mom and I shared a trout dinner. MMMmmm it was good. But when I say I "miss" the bread, it's not like I'm depressed over it or woe as me or it's the end of the world or something. I CAN eat it, there's really nothing we CAN'T eat post-op (3+ months out), but we just have to be careful of our food choices and make protein our #1 priority in menu planning!! Trisha
Randi D.
on 8/11/05 2:29 am - Peoria, AZ
Trisha, I've developed a real disliking towards bread. I eat light tostitos with my chili. I know what you mean in regards to warm bread though. I love the smell. Randi
oldpolly1
on 8/10/05 1:11 am - Gold Canyon, AZ
I miss being able to drink with my meals. This has been my biggest challenge. Sometimes when I feel like something has "stuck", I do take a sip to get it down, but it's hard not to drink a little with every couple of bites.......... Bonnie B
Most Active