VITAMINS AND A SMALL POUCH???

sgirl
on 7/14/05 2:36 am - tucson, AZ
If we have to take a vitamin or an aspirin or some other type of pill, how do we do that if our pouches only allow us a certain amount of room. I get severe migraines, and NEED my Imitrex, but now I am afraid that I can't take anything for it. Not every pill or vitamin come in chewable. THANKS ALL!!!!!!
Brandy H
on 7/14/05 4:40 am - Glendale, AZ
i was told that you can crush pills, or if it is a capsule you can pull it apart and sprinkle the contents into/onto something you eat and mix it around. also, i have a rx from my surgeon that is a pill and i have been cutting into 4 small pieces. in the hospital i requested a sleeping pill (my roomate was being rather annoying and loud because of her pain...so i couldn't sleep well) and they brought me one...and i asked if it was o.k. to take it and she said to hold on a sec....and she came back and cut it for me. i am taking chewable vitamins, chewable calcium and liquid pain meds, and i am chopping my one rx. hope this helps brandy
Arizona_Sun
on 7/14/05 11:39 pm - Gilbert, AZ
You will want to check with a pharmacist about whether your particular medication can be crushed or opened up and dumped into a shake or just taken with a bit of water. We do not absorb time released meds well any more because they don't have all that time in a normal stomach to do their thing. We cannot do NSAIDS so check on the class of medication to know if it has any potential of causing gastric distress (ulcers). It is possible that your migraines will go away after surgery (some of us have had that happen). I think it has something to do with cleansing us of some allergens that our body was responding to with migraines. Sandy
Marilyn C.
on 7/15/05 3:03 am - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi, I would check with your surgeon or Pharmacist they will tell you what you can cut & what you can't. In the beginning stages I had to take several meds that I cut in half & were able to swallow them just fine. If you do get a migrain after surgury you need to find out what you can still take. You might need to change meds that do not damage your new pouch. Ask questions before you just start taking anything. Everything changes after WLS. Don't be affraid to call your Dr. Office and Ask. It could save your life. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Sheryl Tilley
on 7/17/05 7:00 am - Prescott, AZ
If you go to a health food store, you can get liquid vitamins. That should help. Sheryl
Most Active