Getting sick??? Am I alone??????

sherylee24
on 6/27/05 2:31 pm - El Mirage, AZ
Hi, I am 7 weeks post op and doing great!!!! I've had no problems, up until recently, with food. I've been eating tuna since my pureed stage and it's always been something that has gone down really well, but the last two times I ate it, my stomach was in horrible knots and I threw up. The same thing happened with ground beef. I ate it and it was fine then ate it another time and it wasn't. Is this normal? I am worried to eat, afraid I will have to throw up in the trash can at work because I can't make it to the bathroom, which is what happened today!!! =( How do you know what will make you sick and when??? Hit or miss???? I can eat the toppings off of pizza, but not tuna? What's up with that????
Stephanie J.
on 6/28/05 9:19 am - Tucson, AZ
The first few months out can be very hit and miss. Having said that, you should be aware that a significant percentage of us do develop scar tissue blockages after a month or two that keep us from being able to move our food through the system properly. If problems keep up and even get so you can't keep down less dense foods than the ones you mentioned, go back to your doctor and ask to be assessed for a stricture. Odds are it's just the normal body telling you it's not ready for something yet, but a lot of us suffer with strictures a lot longer than we would have had to because nobody mentions them early on. - Stephanie J
Stephanie J.
on 6/28/05 9:20 am - Tucson, AZ
P.S. I'm a year out and still have a hard time with hamburger. - Stephanie
mrs.3m
on 6/28/05 1:50 pm - Mesa, AZ
With the hamberger, it might be your body's way of saying it is not ready for it yet. My dr. office wouldn't let us do meat until at least 3 or 4 months out. The tuna....well, our bodies are constantly changing and adjusting. I would suggest easing off of it for a while. I was like that with eggs. It wasn't until this last month I was able to eat them without throwing up. But keep in mide the other poster was right, strictures do happen this far out. If you have problems with other foods coming back out, call your dr. Strictures suck.
Trisha
on 6/28/05 1:54 pm - Glendale, AZ
Welcome to the wonderful world of post-op! The first 3 months are like this. What is perfectly fine one time is not fine the next time and then next time it's okay, but then maybe later on it's not. It's very normal. I hated it too and had to throw up in restaurant bathrooms before - glad chef wasn't in there! haha! If you are eating slow, you'll know when you need to throw up and can make it to bathroom in time. But if you are not eating slow or you aren't taking small enough bites, it comes up fast. But you are not alone. I've been there. I'm 3.5 months out and things are just now almost normalling out for me. (keeping fingers crossed!) So hang in there! It's normal! Hugs, Trisha
sherylee24
on 6/30/05 2:55 pm - El Mirage, AZ
Thank you Trisha! I needed to hear that!!!!!!!
Most Active