How long off work?

Donna P.
on 6/27/05 6:49 am - Taylor, AZ
I just have a question about how long everyone was off work? I am a office manager and I will, by surgery date be able to work on my computer from home. But I just wondering how long of a recovery you all had. Thanks for all the support and great info. Donna
Darlene X
on 6/27/05 7:51 am - Maricopa, AZ
My sister in law (21) had laproscopic and was back at work a week after surgery. My Mother in law (50's) had laproscopic and was back at work part time after 2 weeks. Then full time after 3 weeks.
Brandy H
on 6/27/05 10:39 am - Glendale, AZ
i have asked this question a few times myself... and everyone has told me that it varies individually and that it depends on your kind of work and how much physical activity you do. Personally, i am on my feet for usually 10-12 hours a day. i am taking about 2 1/2 weeks off starting the day before surgery... then when i come back i am going to only work 4 hours a day for the next 2 weeks and then add an hour (making it 5 hours) the next and then so on. i know that if it is laproscopic/vs open it will make a difference also and how quick you heal. hope it helps although it is a bit vague.
Angels4unme
on 6/27/05 12:13 pm - Roswell, NM
I have a desk job and was off for three weeks after Lap RNY. I could have gone back at two weeks. The sooner you are up and around after surgery the better off you will be. Good luck and God Bless your journey.. Terri 303/135
tamschief1
on 6/28/05 1:42 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I was off 1 full week. I had my surgery the Thurs. before. I went back to work the 2nd week for about 3-4 hrs/day. I also work at a desk. I think you will not have any trouble working from home. I could not sit still. I wanted to get up and moving. Good luck. When is your date? Tammy
Donna P.
on 6/28/05 1:54 am - Taylor, AZ
Thanks to all for the info. I am planning to take off 2 weeks but I will have to do payroll the week after surgery. Tammy my surgery date is 8/11/05. It will be here soon. SOOOOOOO much to get prepared for. Any info on things I need to be getting done I might have forgotten? Thanks again. Donna
Trisha
on 6/28/05 1:57 pm - Glendale, AZ
I felt I was "ready" to go back to work a week after surgery. It's amazing how great you feel just days after surgery. Laproscopic surgery rocks. But I'd recommend taking AT LEAST 2 weeks off. Your body and emotions need time to recoup after MAJOR surgery. Don't rush back to work. Maybe take 2 weeks off of work and telecommute from home via PC for 1-2 weeks and THEN go back to work. Hugs, Trisha
Do-over Girl
on 6/28/05 4:37 pm - Tempe, AZ
I'm planning on talking a min of 4 weeks off (possibly 6 wks if needed) ...since my STD (Short term disability that I pay into for a health benefits cushion) will kick in once I have used up my sick leave (which I have very little of) and will enable me to rest and hopefully adjust to the basic eating/drinking that first month....since 1/2 days aren't an option for me and my still getting paid! When I discussed it with the surgeon...she agreed that a stressful job can make you even more tired after surgery than just a physical job. My job is a lot of "up and down" and also I'd rather be READY for work than have complications or a relapse from "overdoing it". Which I recently did when I fell and tore the ligaments in my ankle. I've been in a "walking cast" since 6/10/05 and trying to fit in physical therapy and work in all the copious free time I have. LOL I had to take some time off because I overdid it by walking too much, with my weight and a "terminator boot"...I feel like I have a ball and chain! Or is it Quasimodo?? Even though we are planning on my surgery to be done LAP, it's still major surgery and a huge shock to your system. But we each are different and unfortunately don't have a "crystal ball"....mmmmmmm maybe EBAY sells them now, they have everything else!?!?
Most Active