smoking????

wendyw614
on 6/10/05 6:53 pm - El Mirage, AZ
can anyone tell me do you have to quit smoking before you can have WLS? I have been trying but Im not a nice person. my doctor will not let me go back to work because of my back problems so Im home all day and I either eat or smoke and when I was trying to quit smoking I was eating to much. Thanks Wendy
Trisha
on 6/11/05 6:05 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi, Wendy!! Smoking injures your stomach and intestines. After surgery, you will have a smaller stomach and therefore a greater chance of developing bleeding ulcers. This was posted by a doctor on a hospital website: .......Smoking increases many of the risks of weight loss surgery. In particular, it icreases the risks of leaks, lung problems, blood clots, ulcers, and wound infections. In addition, to be successful after weight loss surgery, patients must be willing to make significant lifestyle changes. Why would I believe a patient is willing to make these changes after their operation if they can't quit smoking before the operation? For these reasons, we don't see patients for weight loss surgery if they are actively smoking........ Having this surgery means we have to make LIFESTYLE changes. For me, it was soda. I drank soda like there was no tomorrow. I haven't had one since the day before surgery (March). I don't even miss it now. Very weird. I think the pain meds post-op helped with withdrawl symptoms if I had any. . I know it's not easy to stop smoking, but if you want to have this surgery, you REALLY need to find a way to stop. Maybe the patch, gum, hypnotherapy, seeing a therapist, etc. You don't want to do anything to yourself that INCREASES your risk for and after surgery! You can do this!! Hugs, Trisha
Sheryl Tilley
on 6/11/05 11:19 am - Prescott, AZ
hI Wendy! I know it's hard to stop smoking but this would be a great time to try since you will be doing this to develop a healthier lifestyle, right? Take it in small steps like everything else and you'll be able to do it. Hugs! Sheryl
sandust1
on 6/11/05 3:32 pm - Glendale, AZ
Hi Wendy, I know Dr. Blackstone will not let you get the surgery if you are still a smoker!
oldpolly1
on 6/12/05 2:00 am - Gold Canyon, AZ
Wendy, I'm sure you are a lovely person, smoking doesn't make you a bad person. Having said that, please make and attempt to QUIT! Although difficult, it will be worth it! Find another outlet for your hands. Take up knitting or sewing or reading. As an ICU nurse, my rooms are filled with one horrific scene after another of the costs of smoking. If I could only show people this house of horrors, they would never touch another one. An every one of these people really wish that they had quit years before. I know that you have the strength to do this. If you are brave enough to undergo surgery, you have the courage to quit smoking! Good luck! Bonnie B
cocacola1
on 6/28/05 8:52 am - Surprise, AZ
Ok I know that I am a little late..... but yes you need to quit smoking. I smoked for 14 years and I have not had 1 cigarette or cheated in the last 4 months. Most of the time I don't even think about it, but I admit it right now I am thinking about how good one would be. You just have to do it and set your mind to it. It is not easy and I gained about 20 pounds. But I knew that I wanted surgery badly and that was my motivation for quitting. Good Luck and get lots of gum! You can do it!!!
Most Active