WHAT COMES NEXT??????????

khaki82
on 6/6/05 8:00 am - Chandler, AZ
Question's on What comes Next?????????????????????????? I had a few visits with a Doctor and let him now that i wanted to look into the Gastric bypass so, he has refered me to a nutrianist. He didn't seem real forthcoming in what was to come next. I was just wondering if they needed a lot of proding to get to your goal. I know that patience is a virtue, but I just wanted someone's input on their experiences with a doctor. What might help me is to know is what is to come next after seeing the nutrianist. The doctor kinda left things hanging. He didn't set up another appointment or say lets try this. So I'm sorta feeling a little left in the dark. Thank you in advance for your time.
oldpolly1
on 6/6/05 12:08 pm - Gold Canyon, AZ
One of the first things you should do is check with your insurance company to be sure that they cover wls (weight loss surgery). If they do, ask them what they need to approve you. They are often vague, as well, but one thing that many require is a 6 month doctor supervised weight loss program, so you need to get started on that asap. Mine doesn't require the 6 months to necessarily be consecutive, they mostly want to see a history of at least 5 years of MO (morbid obesity), so you have to get medical records from any physicians you have seen in that time. You can tell if you fit into this catagory by plugging in your stats to that area on the home page here at OH.com. They require a BMI of at least 40 or 35 if you have comorbidities such as diabetes, High blood pressure, sleep apnea, arthritis, etc, related to your weight. Also, on the AZ home page, there are lists of surgeons in the area that you can research and call to find out if they take your insurance. The nutritionist is a good idea, too, but when you make the appt, be sure she specializes in weight loss surgery. Most surgeons have one under their practice. The best thing that you can do is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. Read the message boards, read about the complications possible, read about the different types of surgery, KNOW what you're getting into, then decide if you are willing to take the risk. WLS is highly successful if you are motivated, but it is not a cure, just a tool. You still have to work at it. Search your heart. This is a decision only you can make, a very personal life choice. Good luck on your journey, and keep asking questions!!! I haven't even had the surgery yet myself, but these are things I've learned so far. Hopefully, the more experienced folks out there will have more insight. Peace, Bonnie B
Brandy H
on 6/6/05 1:24 pm - Glendale, AZ
i have nothing to add....bonnie covered everything! good job!
oldpolly1
on 6/7/05 1:25 am - Gold Canyon, AZ
Amanda, I thought of one more thing! Keep a file folder of all of your paperwork and keep copies of everything for yourself. Also, have a piece of paper in there where you can write down every phone call you make, who you spoke to, and what was discussed. This has helped me many times to recall something weeks later. Oh, and one MORE thing, you PCP (primary care physician) will need to write a letter of medical necessity to your insurance company. Hope this is all of it for now. It should get you on your way! Peace Bonnie B
Most Active