Constipation

Pamela E.
on 5/23/05 6:40 am - Buckeye, AZ
I suffer from lifelong, seriously CHRONIC constipation. If I don't take laxatives - I don't go. When Dr. Kieran at Scottsdale Bariatric realized my problem, she said the surgery could make my problem even worse - or it may reverse itself. I don't know if I can take the risk that this operation could make my problem even worse. There were years I've taken 3 Dulcolax and 6-7 stool softeners and had cramps that rival childbirth! However, I'm now taking prescription Glycolax (along with 4 fish oil gel caps) once a day, and it has improved the situation - although I still have to take 2 Dulcolax and 3 or 4 stool softeners once a week. I'm afraid of dying of a bowel obstruction. Anyone with the same problem? My insurance provider may make the decision very easy for me, as they just issued my first denial, based on the fact that I need to complete a six month medically supervised diet within the past year, and have a co-morbidity (DUH! If they had bothered to read the request for surgery, they would know I have already completed the diet, and have more than one co-morbidity!). So Scottsdale Bariatric is preparing my first appeal letter this week. Patience seems to be the name of the game.
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/23/05 10:13 am - Tucson, AZ
I use Miralax.........I am so glad it was prescribed for me...it has made me be in a better mood since I can go to the bathroom properly now. I was ordered Miralx when all else failed...I was only using the bathroom once a week...and what came out was like clay...dried up. There was lot of blood in the toliet, too. So I had colonscopy and the Dr. ordered Miralx...more water....and excercise. All is well with me now. Sandy Newkirk
Angels4unme
on 5/23/05 10:51 am - Roswell, NM
I have not experienced what you are and wish you the best in your journey. I have worried about a bowel obstruction since surgery along with other complications just becasue they are possible. I have never been physician treated in the past for consitpation (self medicated) but have suffered for years with it. I have been treated for the last six months by my OB/GYN for female problems. One of the things she has had me do is a holistic treatment with castor oil. I have not felt this good in a long time and did not realize how bad it was until doing the treatment for the 1st 14 days. (Now I do it 3 or so times a week.) I place the oil on a flannel cloth cover it with plastic and use the heating pad for 30-60 minutes at a time while laying down. I can go the next day with no problems. It is a natural way to cleanse your system and does not cause any cramping nor do I have to swallow any nasting tasting stuff or take any more pills. Sending angels to bless your journey. Hoping you can find relief for your problems while waiting for approval. Terri 303/140 48H/36C
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/23/05 2:04 pm - Tucson, AZ
Miralax is non habit forming and has no taste. I mix it with crystal light.....stir well....add ice...and drink. I was doing it daily, but I do it every 3 rd day. I think added excercise is moving things along, too. Sandy in tucson
Rosalie S.
on 5/25/05 10:47 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Great information. Have a question. Do you put in on your stomach or lie on it? Thanks.
Angels4unme
on 5/25/05 11:17 pm - Roswell, NM
I lay it on my stomach.....
amitto1
on 5/23/05 3:35 pm - Birmingham, MI
Hi Pam, sorry to hear about your problem, I have had some constipation with the surgery which was March 8th, but with the addition of veggies and fruit it has gotten better plus lots of water and exercise. If you need the surgery, dont put it off because of that, it is well worth having the surgery. I had my surgery done by Dr Blackstone and I love Scottsdale Bariatric, they are the best. If they thought you could not get thru this journey they would not recommend the surgery for you, they are the best. Good luck with your journey.....
lemarie22
on 5/26/05 1:32 am - Glendale, AZ
Pamela, Before surgery, I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and it was feast or famine for me. I would sometimes go a week without a BM and other times couldn't stop and would end up hospitalized. The only thing that really helped was a breakfast ****tail that my pcp had me make every morning. Yogurt with live cultures, 2 tbs ground flax seed, skim mil**** protein powder and fruit. This really did the trick and I was fine until I had wls. Constipation set in and I again would go for a week without a BM. I started taking Benefiber religiously and that helped, but not much. There were days that I resorted to Magnesium Citrate to clean the pipes. Finally after I added fruit and vegetables back in, things got better. Now I go every couple of days and am OK with that. I'm eating so much less food than I used to that I don't feel bloated and poisoned if I don't go daily. This surgery has actually made things more normal for me. I've found that forcing more water and lots of exercise helps also. BTW, Dr. Blackstone was my surgeon and I couldn't be happier. Connie
Most Active