Depression

Still fat but happy
on 5/22/05 12:04 pm - phoenix, AZ
I am having some major depression latley. I know depression is common amoung recent wls patients but dang it**** me hard. I have become very irratable or emotional. I had my surgery on April 26th and I have lost 25 lbs. For me that doesnt seem like enough. I know ill start losing again soon and everything will be better. Right now it just seems that the whole world is falling in on me. My family cant even begin to know how I feel. The only people *****motely understand would be you. Do the extreme ups and downs ever stop?
Gabrielle
on 5/22/05 1:26 pm - Chester, VA
Hi Corey, I'm a pre-op so I can't say from experience if the extremes stop, but from the things I've read it does get better. I think you're doing great! Your body is going through a lot of healing and adjustment right now, try to remember that when you're feeling down. You wrote in your profile that you are concerned that you are not eating enough. Maybe you should contact your doctor's office and see what they recommend. You might also consider seeing a therapist, if you aren't already, to help you deal with the emotional adjustments involved with this process. I'm pretty concerned about how I'm going to handle it, so I've been talking with my psychologist to try and prepare as best I can. Take care and keep posting - there are a lot of really wonderful supportive people here! Gabrielle
kateland94
on 5/22/05 2:34 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Corey, I had my Surgery April 25 and I have lost 25 lbs. Sounds like we are right on track. I try not to think about the weight loss to much I know it will come off how can it not!!. The first week I was depressed because I felt I would no longer enjoy food like I used to nothing taste good anymore. But I talked to a few people and they said it will get better to just hang in there!! So keep plugging along do your exercise drink your water and protein and don't stress over it. P.S. find a support group you can go to it really helps!! Robin (Tucson)
Stephanie J.
on 5/22/05 3:33 pm - Tucson, AZ
Yes, it's very very very common. This is anecdotal, but I've heard that as the fat cells empty their contents, part of what empties out is a boatload of hormones that are also stored in the fat cells. I know I felt them! Because I had a problem with a stricture forming in the first couple of months after surgery, I wasn't getting enough food down to nourish a fly and even had what I'm sure now was a bonified "roid rage" similar to what steroid users experience. I found out later that whole night of crying after screaming at my kids and their friends was due to the fact that my calorie intake was so low, my body was literally kicking into a steroid rush in order to keep me from dying. It did the trick too. I wasn't losing any weight for a couple of weeks before I got the blockage diagnosed and got it fixed even though I was eating less than a bird. Strictures are also a fairly common side effect of the surgery - up to 20% of us get them, so be on the look out if you're not able to get at least 600 calories a day in (below 400 and you're really in trouble). I also can't emphasize enough the importance of drinking lots of fluids if it's not a stricture situation. The water helps flush everything out of your body and I think the depression is more likely to lift sooner by getting a lot of it in. Other than that, though, you know the first month just ain't gonna be a tea party anyway! You're recovering from major surgery. Just pamper yourself as much as you can and forget about your obligations to everyone else. And simply have faith that this too will pass. It truly does. You've got a better honeymoon than you've ever had waiting just ahead of where you are now. Keep your chin up - even if you have to hoist it with a crane right now! Good luck. - Stephanie J
Trisha
on 5/22/05 3:43 pm - Glendale, AZ
Through my leadership training through ObesityHelp.com (for my support group) I learned that it can take up to 18 months for total recouperation from surgery. That is both physically and emotionally. Our bodies and minds take time to adjust. You seem to be right on track with weight loss. You might want to ask your surgeon or PCP for zoloft or other anti-depression meds for right now. They may be able to help you. You can break them in 1/2 or crush them to take them. I've had ups and downs too. I have no regrets or anything, but sometimes I freak out or wonder if I've stretched out my pouch because I was able to eat like a cup of food vs. a 1/2 cup of food or I think I'm not losing fast enough or whatever. That's just negative thoughts and energy that we need to not focus on. Easier said than done....I know. Glad you posted this. I'm sure others are experiencing this same thing. You are not alone!!! Also, one more thing, do not let your emotions ride on the scale. Each day you are getting healthier and healthier. Weigh only once a week on surgery day or something because our bodies tend to adjust or hold on to things every now and then and daily weigh-ins can be bad for our emotional state!! Hugs, Trisha
tres35cowgirl8
on 5/22/05 9:39 pm - * _ *, AZ
Being on prozac even before surgery helped me. But some days are still harder then others. Talk to your dr's and try 1 day at a time.
cynthia E.
on 5/24/05 6:23 am - buckeye, AZ
Corey; Don't beat yourself up about it. Our bodies and brain have big adjustments ahead. It takes time for this to happen. I am almost 6 months post-op now and I remember feeling the exact same way at first. I felt like the weight wasn't coming off, even if the doctors told me that I was on track. We have to work on seeing ourselfs in a different way. We are shrinking and our brains need time to adjust. My husband was getting mad at me because I couldn't see the change but everyone else had. We are here for you! Cynthia
Most Active