Plastic Surgeon-BAD experience Dr. Wiener policy/staff

Donya P.
on 5/9/05 2:01 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi all, thought I'd share some information with you. I made an appointment with reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Wiener about 2 mos ago. Due to need to fit in one last appt with my PCP before this visit, I had to reschedule so I talked with his office about a total of 4 times before the actual appointment, including the initial lengthy questions before booking and final confirmation of next day's appt. When I arrived (very excited), they called me up to the desk and said - I am careful to quote: "When you scheduled, they should have told you about our policy about your surgery". Having been told nothing, I said, "No, what?". The reply: "You probably booked awhile ago before we had this policy. Due the specific surgey you are looking into and the fact that the insurance companies do not reimburse us even enough to pay our staff, you will be required to pay for your surgery up front and seek reimburesement from your insurance on your own". I stated that was not an option for me, as I am a secretary and they said "Sorry, that is our policy". I replied, "It would have been nice if you told me this when I spoke to you on a number of occassions". Their reply was to repeat it was a new policy. me: "Yes, and you phoned me last night to confirm today's appt". I was kind - afterall, America is a free and capitol socity and it was not this little receptionist's fault but it was a huge waste of my time, setback and frustration. I can not live with 20 lbs of skin on my stomach and the need to take daily painkillers. I'll keep plugging on but I learned to ask more questions and not just assume and in-plan dr. would be like the rest of the inplan drs.
Shepherd
on 5/9/05 4:34 am - Lomita, CA
HI Donya, Sorry you had to experience this. BUT.... if this Dr in an in-network provider & this was a consultation that was approved. They should have seen you for the consultation. Also, if this is something that IS a covered benefit & again they are In-network, it seems they would HAVE to take & bill the insurance as long as they are still a contracted provider. I'd call your insurance company and make an inquiry --- not that I'd want to go back to this office --- but if they are doing this it could be in direct violation of their contract & should be taken off as a net work provider. Just my 2 cents. Wishing you best of luck (I have an appt with a PS today!!! yikes) Pam RNY 5/13/04 268/157 below goal & maintaining
Stephanie J.
on 5/9/05 6:35 am - Tucson, AZ
How do any of us benefit from knowing what happened to you if you don't mention the name of the doctor?? Please let us know who to avoid.- Stephanie J
Stephanie J.
on 5/9/05 6:40 am - Tucson, AZ
OOPS. Bad READER! You mentioned his name twice!!!! Excuse me. Unfortunately, when I say something completely stupid on this site, there's no way to delete it! - Stephanie J
Donya P.
on 5/10/05 4:16 am - Phoenix, AZ
How was your appt? I hope it went completely smooth!! xoxo Hoping for you!
Kim R.
on 5/19/05 10:44 am - Peoria, AZ
H Sheesh! I just responded to your other post and actually referred you to Dr. Weiner. I'm so sorry you had this experience. I have had nothing but a positive experience with his office. Best of luck to you! Kim R/az
cindy
on 5/19/05 4:22 pm - Mesa, az
I am so sorry that you were treated so bad by Dr Wieners office staff, they have been fantastic working with me, and Dr Wiener is super fantastic, his work is amazing! I have had both a breast reduction and a TT with hernia repair, and I will be having my arm lift in a few months, his skills are amazing, and well worth trying again. Let him know how you were treated by his staff, he is a very caring man. I was also told that they would submit to my insurance for all the procedures that I needed, but they did change there policy reguarding arm lifts and thigh lifts. It was wrong that you were not informed prior to your appt, but, it may have just been human error. My insurance paid for my breast reduction and TT, but I will be paying for my arm lift. His work is that good, that I could go to any ps for my self pay arm lift, but Dr Wiener is my choice. The incisions he does, are so fine and fade fast. Dr Wiener has alot of experience with gastric bypass patients, the week that I had my first consultation, he had 19 gastric bypass patients also in for consultations. That is one of the reasons I went with him, and I am so grateful that I did. Please feel free to email me if you have questions or would like to see my before and after pics. Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 -185 lbs BR 8-4-04 TT with hernia repair 2-7-05
Most Active