Did my surgical consultation on the 18th

Sheryl Tilley
on 4/20/05 10:02 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi everybody! I was nervous but Ben and Dr. Juarez immediately put me at ease. Dr. Juarez said he was impressed with how thoroughly I had documented everything. I had gone in there thinking what a lousy job I had done -- but I brought in 1 1/2 years documentation of attendance at TOPS and 2 months food diary I had kept in the computer. I would have printed it all out but was worried about running out of ink. He said if he needs more he'll ask me for it. I also had six months of records with the dietician at Yavapai Regional Medical Center in Prescott. The whole office was so nice. I am excited and feel so hopeful now after talking with them. Sheryl
Sandy in Tucson
on 4/20/05 12:35 pm - Tucson, AZ
What is the lenght of time before surgery? since about all insurances have stopped paying for WLS surgery. I was just wondering the lenght of time they telling people before they can operate. last year at this time it was like 4 months with Dr. Juarez. Dr. Fang 6-8 weeks. Sandy in Tucson. 93 lbs down......Amen
Sandy in Tucson
on 4/20/05 12:36 pm - Tucson, AZ
You can see I do not type for a pay check....I'd be poor. He-he
Sheryl Tilley
on 4/21/05 3:10 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi Sandra! Dr. Juarez didn't mention a date yet -- but said I would hear from him in 4-6 weeks -- so beginning of June to mid-June that will happen -- and I think that's for approval through the insurance.. I still have to do the behavioral counseling with Barbara Maxwell too and they are arranging that. Sheryl
Trisha
on 4/21/05 7:55 am - Glendale, AZ
Actually, the 4-6 weeks Dr. Juarez talks about is the amount of time it takes the dictation team at St. Luke's to transcribe today's appointment and his recommendation for surgery for you. Once that is done - takes 4-6 weeks, then the insurance clerk takes a look at your file for the FIRST TIME, and THEN begins the quest for approval. Someone from the insurance group at his office will call you. If you have Cyndy - ugh - make sure she knows what she is doing and stay on top of her. That's who I had and you can read about her in my profile. She can be a bit inept at time (sent my appeal to DENTAL claim office then told me "well, everyone makes mistakes") So once the insurance clerks get your file and they call you to tell you what they have and what they need, from that moment on - CALL THEM OFTEN!!! You have to be proactive in that. As for Dr. Maxwell, I had to call Dr. Maxwell's office myself and schedule the testing and consult. (602- 262-2222) Dr. Maxwell ROCKS! I love her!! She leads the monthly support group meetings at St. Luke's. She is PRO-WLS and is very encouraging, supportive and friendly.
cynthia E.
on 4/21/05 6:05 am - buckeye, AZ
Sheryl; Sounds like you are on your way. I am glad you liked Ben and Dr. Juarez. He is a great surgeon. The Doctors and NP are great. It is the office staff you will have to worry about. They are so swamped it can take forever to get anywhere with them. You can leave multiple messages and never get a call back. Stay on top of it! From the date of my final consult to surgery was about 30 days. It is the insurance approval process that take so long. From the date of approval to scheduling isn't long, Unless Dr. Juarez is really busy. He did my RNY in Nov-2004 and Dr. Fang took my gallbladder out in Feb-05 because Dr. Juarez was to busy. Hopefully yours will happen quickly. Why do you have to see Dr. Maxwell here in town. Isn't there someone you can see in Prescott? The reason I am asking is because I had all my pre-op stuff done at the Mayo clinic and just had the surgery @ St. Lukes. Not sure what your insurance requirements are but mine was I used a therapyst on our plan. Trying to save you some trips into town. I know about traveling. You will see Dr. Maxwell for the required classes you need to take before surgery. Those can take upto 3 months, patients can get tested. Not sure if any of this will help you. Best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions about the process. Cynthia
Sheryl Tilley
on 4/21/05 7:28 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi Cynthia! I don't have to do the classes with Barbara Maxwell because my surgery is going to be at Good Samaritan and the classes are if you are going to be operated on at St. Luke's. I asked for Good Samaritan because I have had surgery there before and I am comfortable with their policies and staff. They have a no-transfusion policy, for instance. All I have to do is the behavorial test/evaluation thingee. Dr. Juarez asked that I do that with her. I like coming down from Prescott -- getting out of hickville! haha! Real shopping, real stores, etc., and I throw in a cheap Chinese lunch for $3.10 to boot in Phoenix at David Kwan's at 43rd and Dunlap. Dinner there is only $4.10! Sheryl
Trisha
on 4/21/05 7:49 am - Glendale, AZ
Yay!! Step two is done - consult! Congrats!! Looks like you are off to a great start!
Trisha
on 4/21/05 7:59 am - Glendale, AZ
Another thing is FAXING them after I left a voice mail message there (for Cyndy - the lame insurance rep) was VERY EFFECTIVE. I got a call back sooner when I faxed them vs. leaving a message. Probably because it's DOCUMENTED proof of communication. Their fax # is 602256-9488
Most Active