How much Phospate of Soda to take?

Laura B.
on 4/16/05 3:43 am - Gilbert, AZ
I purchased my 3 oz container of Phosphate of Soda according to the package I should take 3 tablespoons. Does that mean I don't have to take the whole 3 oz? Just curious. I have Dr. Fang so I was hoping that Trisha might be able to answer this. Thanks -Laura B
moirap
on 4/16/05 7:40 am - Mesa, AZ
I had to take the whole bottle and It doesnt taste very good. I had mixed it with orange crystal light and still have trouble with orange anything now. I have decided the next time I have to take it(annual colonscopy) Im going to get a shot glass, salt and lime and take 3 shots like tequilla then drink lots of water after. Good luck with your surgery
Trisha
on 4/16/05 2:32 pm - Glendale, AZ
You will NOT like the answer! You HAVE to take the ENTIRE thing. They say to mix it with your favorite soda or beverage to make it taste better, but I have to warn you - it is the most vile thing you will ever drink. I am trying not to GAG as I type this. (Seriously) I mixed it with pop and it didn't help at all. Get it down - the ENTIRE bottle - then lay down. It took about 45 mins to kick in for me and I was on the for about 4 hours. LOL It cleans you out!! Hold your nose if you have to while you drink it.
Do-over Girl
on 4/17/05 4:33 am - Tempe, AZ
I have to take this annually for my colonoscopy due to ulcerative colitis (over 35 times now)! It is incredibly vile and I can't believe that you are expected to drink it all at once!?!?! My directions for a colonscopy have a time schedule that you adhere to and drink certain amounts at certain times all in one evening. I have a couple of tricks to pass along. For me the smell and gag reflex is the worst! Mixing it with apple juice helps a bit. (Ruins my ability to drink apple juice at any other time.) My dr's nurse swears by flat mountain dew pop mixed with it. Which I plan on trying next time I have to use it. I also take a 1/2 a spoonful of sugar after each dose which helps get the icky taste out of my mouth. I encourage you to call your doctor and ask for specific directions because drinking it all at once is too hard on your system hence 4 hours on a toilet! Good luck and know that this too will pass...pun intended!
Stephanie J.
on 4/17/05 8:50 am - Tucson, AZ
A year may have gone by since my surgery, but I still GAG at the mere thought of that stuff!!! That was the worst part of the whole thing if you ask me. Enough to just about give me PTSD! - Stephanie J
Trisha
on 4/17/05 3:41 pm - Glendale, AZ
Same here!!! In fact, just reading it on the subject title line I am trying hard not to . To those pre-op, don't listen to us. Hold your nose and force it down!
Laura B.
on 4/18/05 10:28 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thanks everyone. I had by pre-op today and they confirmed what you all have said, it's the whole thing! Too bad it won't taste like the barium they had me drink for the GI, it kinda reminded me of protein drink. I am so looking forward to getting that part out of my way tomorrow, then I plan on hitting the sack so I can be bright eyed and bushy tailed Wednesday morning. Thanks for all the support, now if someone wants to come over and mix my little soda shooter for me I'll pour one for you...lol Laura head back, nose plugged, down the hatch it shall go, my only fear as it nears is I'll throw it all up then run to the store to buy more then it's head back nose plugged down the hatch it shall go sit on the pot and sit on the pot and sit on the pot till I ain't got Phospho-Soda no more
Most Active