How do I get started?

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/05 6:21 am - Yuma, AZ
I live in Yuma and am unsure of where to get started. Any suggestions?
cindy
on 4/13/05 6:43 am - Mesa, az
My pcp is Dr Paul Soiya in Scottsdale, he is great. He himself battles weight gain, so he is very understanding, he is a Internal Medicince pcp. His phone number is 480 219-9773. Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 -183 lbs BR 8-4-04 TT with hernia repair 2-7-05
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/05 7:04 am - Yuma, AZ
what is RNY, BR and TT? I'm new to all of this. Thanks! Brenda
cindy
on 4/13/05 10:09 am - Mesa, az
Okay, you have not had your WLS yet. Sorry, the Open RNY is Gastric Bypass with open incision vs the Lap. The BR is a Breast Reduction, and the TT is a Tummy Tuck. I am 20 months post op, gastric bypass. Dr Soiya was 100% behind me to have the gastric bypass. I was on 100 units of insulin daily and alot of co-morbiditys. You need to do alot of research and Obesityhelp.com is a great place to start. Cindy
Sheryl Tilley
on 4/13/05 7:23 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi Brenda! There are groups meeeting in Yuma -- Call the YRMC there and they can tell you more. You did a good thing by coming to this group! Sheryl
Trisha
on 4/13/05 2:06 pm - Glendale, AZ
Welcome aBOARD! Glad you are here! You've come to the right place for info! How I got started was I asked my PCP for a referral to a bariatric surgeon who specialized in weight loss surgery. I then researched the surgeon and program online and in person at his seminars explaining the surgery in detail. (http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/multiwlstut.phtml) If you click on a person's NAME on here, you will get to their profile. Read several profiles to see patient's journeys and challenges and learn from it. Read this board often (and any other board on here) for info, advice and answers to any questions you have!! Glad you found us!!
cynthia E.
on 4/14/05 5:49 am - buckeye, AZ
Brenda; I am now 4.5 months post op. My journey has been a long one. I went through 3 different programs but I am glad with the 3rd and last. The program at St. Lukes is worth the time and energy. They have you come in for a seminar and then they will send you a package. Once you have filled out the package you can see the surgeon. Let me put it to you this way. At the Mayo clinic I went to Doctors for 8 months and never saw the surgeon. At the bariactric center, my insurance would only pay 70%. At St. Lukes I have not had to pay a dime and everyone there has been great. I went to the seminar in August and had surgery in November. I had researched many surgeons from the list on this website. It finally came down to who was on my insurance plan. Have you checked to see what your insurance requirements are for the surgery? I know this is alot to absorb, we have all had to go through some process to get where we are. I sure hope this helps. Cynthia
Most Active