Surveys of LT GBS Success?

Pamela E.
on 4/10/05 9:50 am - Buckeye, AZ
Have there been any surveys done to illustrate whether there is long term weight loss success with gastric bypass surgery? I am interested in knowing where patients are 5+ years after their surgery. Have they gained it all back, or have they kept it off?
Trisha
on 4/10/05 1:46 pm - Glendale, AZ
I'm sure there is more on the web than this, but this is what I have off my faves list online: asbs.org/html/rationale/rationale.html asbs.org 72inches.com dukehealth.org/articles/20040715125055226 usbariatric.com/faq.htm
Valerie I.
on 4/11/05 3:13 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Trisha I read this article. Very interesting stuff. I love statistics. Thank you for making it available~ Valerie in Scottsdale
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/05 4:44 pm - Yakima, WA
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but... Some food for thought: freepgs.com/bariatricbytes/Risks.html freepgs.com/bariatricbytes/Failure.html "The findings, published in October's Journal of the American College of Surgeons: *One in 50 surgery patients died within 30 days. (Other studies have reported one in 200 or one in 500 die.) - (MY NOTE: this is based on ALL causes of death) *About 3% of gastric-bypass patients younger than 40 had died in the 13.6 years after the surgery, compared with 13.8% of those who did not have the surgery. *Overall, 11.8% of gastric-bypass patients of all ages had died after 15 years, compared with 16.3% who hadn't been operated on." "McGill University Health Centre in Montreal compared 1,035 morbidly obese patients who had bariatric surgery, mostly gastric bypass, with 5,746 who were similarly overweight but did not have the operation. The findings in September's Annals of Surgery showed that gastric-bypass patients lost 67% of their excess weight...in a five-year follow-up period, six people died who had the surgery (four because of the operation), compared with 350 who died in the larger group. After adjusting for the different size of the groups, researchers say bariatric patients had an 89% reduced risk of death." Also if you're interested - the odds of dying from the mundane (lightening strike) to the common (vehicular accident)...you'd be shocked at the numbers. We take risks every day just getting out of bed! From the National Safety Council: nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm Hugs, Toots
Most Active