Help: Foaming

Trisha
on 4/8/05 3:13 pm - Glendale, AZ
I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and I have been having "foaming" at least once a day for the last 3 days. This happened a lot last week and I slowed down my eating and made sure I didn't drink near mealtime. Im still eating slow and not soon after I drink, but it's happened at least once a day since Tuesday. I foamed today right after lunch and then tonight after dinner. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I can eat something one day and if I eat it later that day or the next day, I foam. I've slowed down eating and don't drink near mealtime but I continue to have problems. And then sometimes when I am foaming (throwing up) I can't stop and keep gagging until I have dry heaves. I know this is not good on my system. Any pointers or tips (besides eating slower, not drinking near mealtime) that can help. I'm SICK of this!!! (no pun intended)
Laura B.
on 4/8/05 3:27 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I am no expert on this since I haven't even had my surgery but do you think you could try going back on a liquid diet to see if that helps, maybe just a day or two? Laura B.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/05 3:33 pm - Yakima, WA
Hi Trisha This is very normal! Happens to most between 2 and 6 weeks postop and lasts 2 to 3 weeks, generally! What causes it is your stomach is trying to relearn digestion. Limited acid production in the pouch so the mucus kicks in to help the food pass. In time, this gets better. I still sometimes, if I overeat now will get that...but in the early weeks, this isn't FROM anything other than your body adapting to its new wiring I found drinking something hot before eating often helped me. I don't know if you're allowed to drink right before eating..but if so, try that and see if it helps. (((HUGS))) Toots
Apostolic G.
on 4/8/05 4:13 pm - AZ
I still get the foamies if I eat to fast or try to take a swig of water after I just ate.
Christopher3296
on 4/9/05 1:15 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Trisha, I am a little over 9 weeks out, and I still foam or froth as I call it. It normally happens if I eat too much. Or if something tends to not go down right. It is getting better, but there are some days that I just froth and froth and frth, and it sucks. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about it. My sister (who had this surgery last July) says it does get better. Occasionally she still has that problem. I know it stinks, but it will be fine. My advice is make sure you eat slowly and don't over eat. That is how I usually avoid it. I am still in the testing phase of how much I can eat. I want to do the cottage cheese test, BUTI don't really like cottage cheese. I can eat a few spoonfuls, and then it does't taste good anymore. So I most likely undereat, which isn't good either. It is hard to figure this eating thing out, but I will get there eventually. I hope this helps ya!! Laura C.
Trisha
on 4/9/05 3:32 pm - Glendale, AZ
Drinking something warm before eating HELPED!!! No foaming/frothing today! Yay!! Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/05 4:04 pm - Yakima, WA
Most Active