Face-to-Face support groups ROCK!!

Trisha
on 4/6/05 4:47 pm - Glendale, AZ
I went to my first wls support group this week at St. Luke's and it was awesome!! Nice range of ages - from 20's to 70's and there were even some men there!! Group was much bigger than I thought it would be and everyone is so supportive, nice and friendly. There were pre-ops there (that have gone through ABC classes) and post-ops. Photographs were passed around of some before pictures and after pictures of those in the group and it's amazing how far people have come. I'm like WOW!! Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend going to support groups through your hospital or surgeon's office. I've been active here online for months, and it was nice connecting with other WLS patients face-to-face. Next week is the West Valley one and I'm looking forward to that!! I hope that others on here that are going through St. Luke's come to support group meetings soon. If you have had surgery through St. Luke's, please come!! We'd love to have you. If you haven't had surgery yet at St. Luke's you have to go through the ABC classes first. But all surgeons/hospitals should have their own support groups they promote. Check into it and go!!! You'll be glad you did!!
ems1211
on 4/6/05 5:00 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Trisha, Susan here, from 31st Ave & Deer Valley. Remember me from last night? I TOTALLY AGREE with you about this support group. It was wonderful. I CANNOT WAIT until I too am a BIG LOSER. I will be looking forward to these meetings every month. What is the West Valley group next week? Susan
tres35cowgirl8
on 4/6/05 11:58 pm - * _ *, AZ
Susan I use to live at 35th & Deer Valley I moved in Dec to 35 th & Bell
Brandy H
on 4/6/05 5:08 pm - Glendale, AZ
i want to go to the support groups but dont' look for me until june or so because i won't be starting up my ABC's until April 19th. did you enjoy the ABC classes? any suggestions on what to bring/where to sit/what NOT to wear etc. ?
ems1211
on 4/6/05 5:41 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Brandy: The classes are good and what I think makes them so good is Dr. Maxwell. She is a good speaker and very funny. She is a real person & makes you feel very welcome. Wear anything, sit anywhere, no need to bring anything...and, enjoy. Best wishes. Susan
Trisha
on 4/7/05 6:40 am - Glendale, AZ
You can call (602) 251-8828 or 1-800-248-5553 to find out more info on ABC classes. You should bring a pen and a folder or binder. At each class they'll give you a ton of info. I used a binder, plus it was good to take notes on. You don't need paper/notebook because you can write notes on the handouts she gives out. Room is big and chairs are plenty and there's no arms on the chairs. Get there a bit early to get a good seat. You could wear your pajamas if you wanted to. When I went to an "A" class, there was a lady in a house dress. But wear what ever you are comfortable in. It's not formal or anything. Some people come from work. Some people come from home. Etc. So it's very casual. No dress code or anything. Bring a bottled water or something to drink. They have a cafetaria there at the hospital and also vending machines outside room so you can get a soda or juice or water there. I've only been to the "A" class. I had surgery when the "B" class met. I plan to go to the "B" and "C" classes just to get more info and feel more connected.
Michele M.
on 4/7/05 4:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
I had surgery July 21st 2004 in Florida, at St Lukes Hospital, then we moved to Arizona in January. Does that mean I can't go to this support group? What are ABC's? Michele
ems1211
on 4/7/05 6:05 am - Phoenix, AZ
Michelle; I don't know about that. It would be great if you can. Give Dr. Maxwell's office a call at (602)262-2222 and ask them. If they say yes, email me & I'll give you the address & directions & when we meet. Hope to see you next month. Susan
Trisha
on 4/7/05 6:43 am - Glendale, AZ
I agree with Susan above, you should be able to. Call the number above or (602) 251-8828 or 1-800-248-5553 to find out. We'd love you to join us!! ABC's are basically three classes that St. Luke's wants patients to go through BEFORE they start support. They are led by Dr. Maxwell and very informative. They meet once a month (month 1- A class, month 2 - B class, etc ) and you don't have to take them in order. You can start with current month (C I think) and then go to A next month and B the month after. Call numbers above for more info, but if you are post-op you may not need to go.
Most Active