New, Scared & Excited

Lindsey K.
on 3/28/05 12:44 pm - Avondale, AZ
I have been reading as much as I possibly can on this website for the last week and I am definately ready to start my process to have surgery. My insurance only covers Dr. Blackstone but I have read some really wonderful things about her on this site. I am 25 and I have about 170 lbs to lose and I think I have found my answer to weight loss. I would really love to chat with some of you about your experiences with WSL, I could use the support!! You all have done so awesome and I hope that I too will feel this great about my decision after surgery.
Stephanie J.
on 3/28/05 2:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
Blackstone does have a pretty good reputation. You're one of the lucky ones who still have coverage for this surgery. That's good to hear. So many people are roadblocked from day one with insurance miseries. Get an appointment with your doctor and start getting your medical history prepared and a letter from your P.C. physician recommending the surgery. You'll probably have to schedule for one of Blackstone's seminars before you can get an appointment but there's a lot you can do in the meantime to establish diet history and document any co-morbidities you might have. Some of the co-morbidities that count if you can document them are diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, urinary incontinence, acid reflux, back pain, foot pain, sleep apnia (which many of us have without even knowing it), and any depression you think may be related to mobility or social issues and obesity. Let us know how your journey is going as you get started with the process. Good luck. - Stephanie J
cynthia E.
on 3/29/05 3:32 am - buckeye, AZ
I have herd great things about Dr. Blackstone. I wanted her to do my surgery but she was not on my plan. My surgeon was great also. He is very experienced in the WLS. Not sure what your insurance requirements are so my advise to you is make sure you have all your I's dotted and T's crossed. The more information you can give the doctors office will help your approval move smoother. If you are ready for this life change then your success will be wonderful! Best of luck! Cynthia
Trisha
on 3/29/05 5:09 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi, Lindsey! Welcome aBOARD! Dr. Blackstone rocks from what I have heard. That's who I wanted to do my surgery, but my insurance didn't cover her. You are getting this surgery done at a perfect age - 25 - you'll experience some thin years before you turn 30. I spent my 20's overweight and didn't even consider or know much about GBS until this past year. Oh well, no regrets and no looking back. My 30's will ROCK! Anyway, don't be scared . There is NOTHING to be scared about. Be excited! Be very, very excited! This surgery is going to SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!! Post often! This board is great!
sandust1
on 3/30/05 8:15 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Lindsey, from what I have researched Dr. Blackstone is an excellent surgeon. When I mentioned Blackstone to my PCP she said she was a very good choice. Stephanie is correct you would need to attend one of her seminars. I did and they are very informative. I would suggest you call Blackstones office to get into the next seminar and they will send you a packet of info. It will have a check list of all the things you will need to do to get approval.
lemarie22
on 3/30/05 9:53 pm - Glendale, AZ
Lindsey, Dr. Blackstone did my surgery a year ago and she rocks. Her team is wonderful and very supportive. I couldn't be happier with the results. No complications, no issues, no worries. I can't begin to tell you what a blast life is now that I'm not hauling around a whole extra person. Today I have a consult with a reconstructive surgeon to get my excess skin removed from the tummy and arms. On to phase II. Let me know if I can answer any questions. Connie
Most Active